Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: PC Overheating - What hardware do I need to fix?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi folks,

While playing Dolphin, my computer started shutting off. I downloaded realtemp and the temperature soars to like 90 degrees, so I think it's overheating. My assumption is that there's something wrong with either my processor or my cooling system. I have a Dell vista pc with a good warranty, so I can get anything replaced. But the dell people are kind of slow and dumb with customer service, so I want to be able to tell them exactly what to do. Do you know what part of the hardware specifically is causing this problem? Is it my processor?

Thanks!
Your thermal compound is dead . Go to computer store and buy Arctic MX-4 (10$)
Search "How to apply thermal compound" via youtube
Make sure your system isn't clogged up with dust, and that all the fans are working. It could also be the thermal compound as admin89 suggested but clean out the dust first. I've never seen Thermal paste go bad in a desktop though I probably have never left a cpu in its socket for more that about 3 years. I've seen dust bring good computers to their knees.