Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Wii Aspect Ratio per game
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello. I have a 16:10 monitor so I prefer playing games in 16:9 ratio if they provide wider field of view. However 4:3-designed games either stretches the screen or add black lines to the top and bottom to match 16:9 ratio. I tend to avoid any AR-distortion as well as top and bottom lines (while left and right lines are absolutely fine).

So is it possible to set Wii Aspect Ratio on per game basis via game ini? If not does it worth making a request issue?
Use the options in your graphics backend settings. Force 4:3, force 16:9, stretch to window, or auto. I'm not sure if those can be set in the game .ini but I think so. Hopefully someone will come in here and confirm/deny that.
I've thought about it, but backend AR settings are limited in the case. You can prevent stretching, but can't prevent top and bottom black lines (except Stretch which distorts the image) if a game uses this method.
So the game is outputting 16:10 without black bars instead of 16:9 with black bars (on the actual GC/Wii)?
The game is outputting with black bars at ALL sides using Wii AR=16:9 and backend to Auto. Backend to 4:3 and Stretched both remove top+bottom bars but squeeze the image. Here are screenshots taken by external software.

Correct image - Wii 4:3, backend Auto:
[attachment=8973]
Black bars at all sides - Wii 16:9, backend Auto:
[attachment=8974]
Squeezed image - Wii 16:9, backend Stretched:
[attachment=8976]
Squeezed even more - Wii 16:9, backend 4:3:
[attachment=8975]
(03-16-2013, 05:11 AM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]I'm not sure if those can be set in the game .ini but I think so. Hopefully someone will come in here and confirm/deny that.
"AspectRatio" in the "Video_Settings" section of the game ini. Uses integer values (0,1,2,..) corresponding to (I think) the options like they appear in the gfx config dialog.
neobrain, thx for the tip, but look at the screens above. If Wii AR is set to 16:9, then there is no way getting the correct image using backend settings. That's why I'm asking for Wii AR ini config.

EDIT. Just tested out Crop function with Wii 16:9, backend Auto. Makes the image close to correct but still not perfect.
What is your fullscreen resolution set to?

Edit: Nvm. I should have just checked the images that you posted. It's 1680 x 1050.
Same as my desktop native - 1680x1050
Honestly I have no idea why changing the wii AR is producing any difference unless the game is adding black bars.

Edit: Ok this is really weird. Wii AR 16:9 + graphics backend AR 4:3 should produce the correct AR yet it is producing 1070 x 1050, nearly 1:1.
Pages: 1 2