Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Any way to get Brawl running at 60fps?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
For me, Brawl runs quite well. It's usually around or right around 60 fps and that's with the graphics all the way down. I've only bumped up the internal resolution to (Auto window size) which I'm assuming is at 1080 for me. Every time I turn on the Anti-aliasing or the anisotropic filtering up, it lags like heck. My CPU (3770k) and my gfx card (7950) should be more than capable to run this so I have no idea what I must be doing wrong.

Another question, I have the dolphin emulator on my friends comp up and running, but for some reason he cannot start a new file on Brawl. When it chooses to start a new file, it just sits there and never creates it. Any idea what's up?
Try 3.5 stable. The later Revisions have made it impossible for me to use any MSAA in most games. You can also try the latest version from the download page here.
Quote: I've only bumped up the internal resolution to (Auto window size) which I'm assuming is at 1080 for me
Your GPU should handle 4xIR(2560x2112) , 2x MSAA (direct3D11) , 16x AF just fine . You should not use Auto Windows size
If you use Direct3D9 (which is faster than direct3D11) then 4xIR , no AA , 16xAF (SSAA is very demanding)
Quote:My CPU (3770k) and my gfx card (7950) should be more than capable to run this so I have no idea what I must be doing wrong.
Try to update latest AMD graphic driver . Use GPU-Z to check your GPU clock speed to make sure it's not in idle mode while DOlphin is running
Good call on the clock speed. I'll have to check up on that.

On the other topic, I guess I'm not really sure what auto windows size does. What's the difference between Auto windows size and 4x 2560x2112? And yes, I've been using Direct3D9. I read that Direct3D11 isn't really worth using.

Also, thanks for the detailed response!
Quote:What's the difference between Auto windows size and 4x 2560x2112?
You can't tell ? 4xIR give you stunning graphic (especially on 1080p display due to downscaling) and it's best to set that option manually.
Like I said before , SSAA of Direct3D9 is much more demanding than MSAA of Direct3D11
If you want to use 4xSSAA , you will have to lower IR down to 3x
Honestly, I couldn't really tell a difference. They both run about the same. The anisotropic filtering is set to x16. It runs fairly well, for the most part. Sometime sit dips down to around 40fps, but I'll live.

Any info regarding the infinite loop and not creating a save file for the game? He was able to make a save in Mario Kart Wii, but not Brawl. I was wondering if a certain setting to enable?
Quote:It runs fairly well, for the most part. Sometime sit dips down to around 40fps
That's weird . Brawl is not a demanding game
Are you perhaps running Dolphin with multi-player ? (4 real person , not 4 computers)
Try to set Frame limit to 60FPS and tick "Limit by FPS"
Quote:He was able to make a save in Mario Kart Wii, but not Brawl
Transfer your save to him
Right-click the game - Open Wii save location
Ah, thanks for the idea. I'll do that.

As for Brawl, I'm only playing against the comp. Mainly just one computer. It isn't a huge deal as it's only when the fighters are introduced. That's both on Direct3D9 and 11. I can only do the internal resolution thing by 4. No other things or then it will drop. Thanks again for all the help.