Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Question about NetPlay
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've seen videos of peole playing lag-free on NetPlay, how does one accomplish this?
Is it fast internet from their ISP or server?
Would I be able to host from a company's server and have decent speeds?

Thanks in advance!

If this is in the wrong section please move.
Generally, to use netplay lag free, both the host and clients need to have good hardware for running Dolphin. A good network connection helps with speed and avoiding desyncing, but if any one involved in netplay doesn't have hardware adequate to run the game, other players will have to slow down. Slowing down the speed for all players is how Dolphin keeps everyone in sync, afaik. So really, you should have strong hardware and a good connection to use netplay smoothly.

About using company servers (Internet webhosting?) forget about that. You're better off just using your own desktop or laptop and the best internet access available to you.
thanks for the quick response, and that explains a couple things Smile
What a pity about internet hosting, maybe someday in the future it might become more popular for it Smile.
(03-14-2013, 02:14 PM)Tezuka Wrote: [ -> ]What a pity about internet hosting, maybe someday in the future it might become more popular for it Smile.

You know, the way Dolphin is setup for netplay, any server provided by an internet hosting service would have to run the Dolphin executable to be the host (or even a client). It'd be highly unlikely that any such service would let you physically hook up a keyboard+monitor+joystick to their servers (unless you were an admin at their company or sth Big Grin). Granted, you could always use remote tools to run Dolphin on said server, but that would add unnecessary complexity and potential latency to the equation. Hosting Dolphin netplay isn't quite like using something like Kaillera.
True, well yeah, I can host my own server w00t, am i glad of that, now I can play my dumped Nightfire disc from my original GC online Smile.