Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Can I run Dolphin?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Noctis

This is my first post so hello to everyone.
I thought I could run the game no problem when I read the requirements, but I'm having lag problems so I have to ask to make sure.
I'm trying to run Harvest Moon Animal Parade and it runs great when creating my character and during the opening sequence, but once I get to the farm during the scene, I lag horribly. My speed goes from 99%-100% to 30%-40%. And when I got to naming my farm, the sound went to shit. When I got passed that and to my house everything went back ti normal. When I went outside my speed dropped to 50%-60% and the sound started crackling and making screeching noises.
I downloaded the 64-bit version of the pre-requisites and installed them. I'm using the 64-bit 3.5-367 version of Dolphin.

System specs:
Windows 8 Pro 64-bit
Intel Core2 Quad 2.40GHz
4096MB RAM
ATI Radeon 4870 HD X2 (3824 MB)

Dolphin setup:
[Image: FAvSKAl.png]
Your cpu is a bit slow for dolphin. Try to overclock it.

EDIT: you could also try the stable 3.5 or 3.0 releases.

Noctis

Overclock. What's that mean?

Eh, I'd rather not overheat my graphics card. I'll try a stable release.

The stable Dolphin definitely worked better at first, but in the end had the exact same problems. I guess the PC Wii isn't for me. Which is upsetting considering I can play The Last Remnant, Tomb Raider, Far Cry 3, Devil May Cry and even Skyrim with absolutely zero lag and no problems at all.
Overclocking your cpu will not change the heat of your graphics card unless you have really crappy airflow in your case. Your GPU is fine for dolphin it's your CPU that is the problem. I suggested the stable release is because the latest ones have become more demanding but don't expect miracles.
Quote:Which is upsetting considering I can play The Last Remnant, Tomb Raider, Far Cry 3, Devil May Cry and even Skyrim with absolutely zero lag and no problems at all.
Don't compare PC games to Dolphin
PC games : demand GPU power
Dolphin : demand CPU power
Your CPU is weak for most games . Harvest Moon AP is a demanding game . You need to overclock your CPU to 3.2GHz or higher
2.4GHz is too slow for that game
(03-12-2013, 05:59 PM)Noctis Wrote: [ -> ]I guess the PC Wii isn't for me.
Dolphin is very dependent on CPU. Your cpu is quite old and pretty slow by today's standards. I have an i5 2500k @ 4.5 GHZ and still experience lag in some games.
(03-12-2013, 05:59 PM)Noctis Wrote: [ -> ]Which is upsetting considering I can play The Last Remnant, Tomb Raider, Far Cry 3, Devil May Cry and even Skyrim with absolutely zero lag and no problems at all.
Modern PC games are all GPU dependent. You can have an exceptional experience even with older processors. Pretty much anything in the Core 2 or Athlon II lines are still fine for modern pc games, with some exceptions. Even though the 4870 x2 is older it's still a very good GPU on par with today's GTX 660 or HD 7850.
You can be upset by it but dolphin and pc games is an apples to oranges comparison.

Noctis

Oh, well that explains it. I was always confused as to why I could play those PC games but not the Wii games.

I tried googling overclocking and got a bunch of results about overclocking my graphics card and that it could overheat and stop working.
Anyways, so basically a CPU of 12.8GHz is required to play AP. So I should overclock it. Thanks a lot.

I'm aware of how outdated my hardware is just by jumping onto NewEgg for 5 seconds and looking at the drastically lowered prices of everything but believe me, Xals. This computer is top-notch compared to the one I used to be using no longer than a month ago. I could barely run Maplestory or the ePSXe on my old computer. This new computer of mine was built mostly by a friend of my brother. They were his old parts.

Anywho...thanks a lot for the info.
Quote: basically a CPU of 12.8GHz is required to play AP
where does that number come from ?
3.2x4 = 12.8GHz ? lol , nope
All cores run at 3.2GHz , that won't change no matter how many cores your CPU have

Quote:I should overclock it.
We won't force you to do so
Spoiler: