Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: If I buy a dedicated vga, will game speed improve significantly?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3

p00h

I have an i3 3225 with intel hd 4000 + 4gb ram, but some games run slow.
If I get a new, dedicated vga, will it have significant effect on emulation speed? Or the cpu is more important, and that's weak for higer fps?
Thanks for the answers!
(03-08-2013, 11:46 PM)p00h Wrote: [ -> ]If I get a new, dedicated vga, will it have significant effect on emulation speed?

No. It will be faster but not of a significant way.

(03-08-2013, 11:46 PM)p00h Wrote: [ -> ]Or the cpu is more important, and that's weak for higer fps?

Yes. CPU is more important. Yours will be too weak for the most demanding games.

Which games are you trying to play?

p00h

Thx for the answer!
I wanna play LoZ: skyward sword, but i think it'll be slow. (I haven't tried it, because my motion plus hasn't arrived yet.)
But some games have framerate drops at certain points, and I think LoZ SS is much more demanding...
mario, kirby, wii sports run smooth with 1 player, but with split screen it's slow. Donkey kong country is slow as well. sport resort runs slow by certain sports. Wind waker was completely playable with just some drops.
So that's why I asked the question above.
Zelda SS requires a strong GPU . You can grab EVGA GTX 650 (on newegg.com) for only 100$
Zelda SS will be playable (not full-speed though). And you'll need a new GPU as admin89 said
(03-09-2013, 01:08 AM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]Zelda SS requires a strong GPU . You can grab EVGA GTX 650 (on newegg.com) for only 100$

Or if he can spare $140 650 ti is much, much better
Almost double the perfomance for only 40% more money.
650 is not good choice, if we look at price/perfomance ratio

Then we have 7770 which is only $120, and its also more then only 20% perfomance.

Bottom line, any way you look at it, 650 is not good choice Smile

(03-08-2013, 11:46 PM)p00h Wrote: [ -> ]I have an i3 3225 with intel hd 4000 + 4gb ram, but some games run slow.
If I get a new, dedicated vga, will it have significant effect on emulation speed? Or the cpu is more important, and that's weak for higer fps?
Thanks for the answers!
Yes it will have significant effect if you play on any other internal resolution then 1x.
And playing on 1x is not something I would do , because games look very ugly
Quote:Almost double the perfomance for only 40% more money.
Non-Dolphin topic . He didn't mention anything about PC gaming or stuffs like that
It will not make that much difference in Dolphin anyway
GTX 650 : 4xIR , noAA , 16xAF
GTX 650Ti : 4xIR , 2x MSAA , 16xAF
Besides , he didn't mention anything about his power supply (PSU) either
GTX 650 , AMD 7750 GDDR5 are good enough for OEM PC . GTX 650Ti might screw up the whole system if his PSU did not provide enough power
There is really no big difference in power draw for 650 and 650 ti, in fact on nvidia site recomendation is the same - 400w power supply.

And there is difference in dolphin, neither 650 or 7750 can handle 4xIR in a lot of games Smile
(03-09-2013, 03:03 AM)rpglord Wrote: [ -> ]Or if he can spare $140 650 ti is much, much better
Almost double the perfomance

(03-09-2013, 04:06 AM)rpglord Wrote: [ -> ]And there is difference in dolphin, neither 650 or 7750 can handle 4xIR in a lot of games Smile

I don't agree that the GTX 650 TI is twice as fast as the GTX 650, and these are both generally 80GB/s memory bandwidth cards that can do 4xIR.
(03-09-2013, 04:26 AM)Starscream Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-09-2013, 03:03 AM)rpglord Wrote: [ -> ]Or if he can spare $140 650 ti is much, much better
Almost double the perfomance

(03-09-2013, 04:06 AM)rpglord Wrote: [ -> ]And there is difference in dolphin, neither 650 or 7750 can handle 4xIR in a lot of games Smile

I don't agree that the GTX 650 TI is twice as fast as the GTX 650, and these are both generally 80GB/s memory bandwidth cards that can do 4xIR.

I dont know why some people here think that only thing that matter for dolphin when it comes down to gpu is memory bandwith ?
Has there been any kind of user benchmarks done which confirm this ?
Memory bandwith is usually not at all that important, number of gpu cores are more important, and 650ti has exactly double the amount of 650.
Where is the proof that dolphin is using the gpu completely different then any other program or pc game, and memory bandwith is only important ?
Because based on my testing, this is completely false. When dolphin is not cpu bottlenecked, it will use gpu same as pc game, and gpu which is more powerful will perform much better, regardless of memory bandwith
Pages: 1 2 3