Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Good Hardware But Lots of Dolphin Problems
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
So here are my computer specs:
i5 3570k at 3.4ghz(Stock Clock)
Asus 7870 Direct CUII
G.Skill Trident X 2400 mhz
I have been trying to play Metroid Prime but i cant get it to work, i get crazy lag spikes at random times the audio will start skipping and then after a second or so it will go back to normal, I have had to tone the graphics settings down to normal to even be able to play the game, but i really want to have anti aliasing and stuff like that, i really don't know what to do but i am pretty sure its not a hardware problem as mine is pretty good, i have attached an image of my settings which i hope is the problem,
Thanks
Try setting the framelimit to "auto", not "audio" and try checking "skip EFB access from CPU".

I also see you're using a build that you likely got from an unofficial Dolphin site, start using the latest development builds or the latest stable build from this site (our site which is the official Dolphin home) -> http://dolphin-emu.org/download/

Also, thanks for providing all of the important info between your profile and your forum post, you'd be surprised how many people leave out important stuff like setings, PC specs and Dolphin build information.
Did you update latest AMD driver ? AMD 7000 series is known for being idle when Dolphin is running
Also try to overclock your CPU
(03-06-2013, 05:40 PM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]Did you update latest AMD driver ? AMD 7000 series is known for being idle when Dolphin is running
Also try to overclock your CPU
i downloaded latest catalyst drivers off the website as soon as i got it i will check that though and also i am going to invest in a water cooler later down the track for stable overclocking
Edit i have the latest drivers for my graphics card that doesn't seem to be the issue
Then try to overclock as admin89 suggested it. Don't forget Metroid Prime is a very demanding game
(03-06-2013, 10:13 PM)LordVador Wrote: [ -> ]Then try to overclock as admin89 suggested it. Don't forget Metroid Prime is a very demanding game
Find it hard to believe that overclocking is going to make it work as some people can run it perfectly on a core 2 duo. Like i said its not really an option right now with a stock cooler but if i do get a water cooler down the track i will do so. But still, any other ideas?
I wonder why my comment was ignored and if anything I've suggested was tried. It's kind of tough to help a user if he refuses to listen or provide any feedback.
(03-07-2013, 06:25 PM)Polsom Wrote: [ -> ]some people can run it decently on a core 2 duo

I rectified that for you.
I really doubt a Core 2 Duo (not overclocked) is enough for this game
He shouldn't need overclocking. I can run this game fine on the latest revisions with HLE audio with few drops in FPS, nothing like the large drops the OP describes and not nearly as frequent either.

Polsom, even if you have the latest drivers, make sure that your GPU usage increases when running Dolphin. There are tools available for Windows that can do this. A less accurate way is to monitor the increase in GPU temp, but that really doesn't provide the whole picture of what's going on.
Haven't played MP1 much in Dolphin because i have a save in the middle of the game on real GC and don't have much time to build an adapter to read GC memcards on PC, so probably i'll finish the game on real hardware first, but Metroid Prime 2 runs at full speed everywhere, at least with hashless build. And last time i played MP2 was before overclock with GT440 video card.
Pages: 1 2