Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Pre translating files
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I was just thinking about how dolphin is so cpu intensive because it has to translate the files real time and then display them rather than just displaying them, however, couldnt you then simply pre translate the files? I know this isnt possible or it would be how it works but why? is it because dolphin translates the output rather than the game itself?

cmccmc

how would you go about pretranslating the files. Would you wait before the game starts. It's impossible
(07-19-2009, 01:39 AM)cmccmc Wrote: [ -> ]how would you go about pretranslating the files. Would you wait before the game starts. It's impossible

No i mean like translate the whole code itself
That's what both JIT do, unless you want to reprogram the whole games for pc...
Thats what im saying and i know its not gonna happen, what im asking is why Tongue
the jit does it on the fly. Unless you know every action and do it before the game starts, recompiling it to an .exe won't help. The jit lets it simulate a real wii.
I think what he means is: instead of doing it 'Just in Time', the emulator takes the original file, does the conversions and saves as new type of file which has already been processed. Afterwards, the user can take that file and play from there on. Like compressing, just that the Iso is transformed. This saves a lot of processing while running the iso.
(07-20-2009, 02:24 AM)BlinkHawk Wrote: [ -> ]I think what he means is: instead of doing it 'Just in Time', the emulator takes the original file, does the conversions and saves as new type of file which has already been processed. Afterwards, the user can take that file and play from there on. Like compressing, just that the Iso is transformed. This saves a lot of processing while running the iso.

Unforunately this is impossible as there is run time code which you don't know what the results of which would be at run-time.

It's the same as why you can't "translate" NES, SNES, Megadrive, GBA, PSone, PS2 games, etc,etc
(07-20-2009, 02:31 AM)MenaceInc Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-20-2009, 02:24 AM)BlinkHawk Wrote: [ -> ]I think what he means is: instead of doing it 'Just in Time', the emulator takes the original file, does the conversions and saves as new type of file which has already been processed. Afterwards, the user can take that file and play from there on. Like compressing, just that the Iso is transformed. This saves a lot of processing while running the iso.

Unforunately this is impossible as there is run time code which you don't know what the results of which would be at run-time.

It's the same as why you can't "translate" NES, SNES, Megadrive, GBA, PSone, PS2 games, etc,etc

I understand you can't, i was simply asking the reason why, but i think i understand so nvm