Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Just bought a computer with i7 2600K but they sent me a i7 3770
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm trying to play some games at full speed with Dolphin for years so I needed to buy a good processor... I just bought a computer with a i7 2600K processor, it happens that the store sent me a computer with a i7 3770. Now the question: which one is better?

I tried intel site and got this http://ark.intel.com/compare/65719,52214 But I didn't understand almost anything... When I searched on google all I could find is that the whole 3rd generation intel processors have some heat issues

Considering my objective is play with dolphin emulator, which one is better?
i7 2600k support overclocking if you pair it with P67 , Z68 , Z75 , Z77 mobo . But since you bought a PC instead of building one so forget it !
i7 3770 does not have k (K = support overclocking) -> It does not support overclocking but it's faster than i7 2600k at stock speed
Keep in mind that Dolphin is a dual core application , Dolphin does not support Hyper Threading . Therefore , there is almost zero difference between i5 2500k & i7 2600k or i5 3570k & i7 3770k in Dolphin
Thanks a lot, you made it clear for me!

Now please, one more question... Let's add the i7 3770 on the comparision you made above
(03-05-2013, 05:06 PM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]Therefore , there is almost zero difference between i5 2500k & i7 2600k or i5 3570k & i7 3770k in Dolphin

Is there much difference between i7 3770 and these ones that you posted?
Like I said i7 3770 does not support overclocking , i5 2500k @ 4.5GHz or i5 3570K @ 4.2GHz (Overclocked) will blow it away (in Dolphin)
i5 3xxx / i7 3xxx are 3rd generation Intel Core I series (Code name : Ivy Bridge)
i5 2xxx / i7 2xxx are 2nd generation Intel Core I series (Code name : Sandy Bridge)
Ivy Bridge > Sandy Bridge
Btw , you didn't mention any graphic card in your profile . Without decent graphic card , you could expect poor performance in gaming
Thank you

And yeah I don't have any graphic card yet, I still looking for a good one in terms of cost benefit
Well , it depends on your power supply (PSU) . Most OEM systems have average PSU (not so bad , not so good)
EVGA GTX 650 (100$) is a great buy for 4x Internal Resolution (2560x2112) , no AA , 16X AF in Dolphin and its power consumption is very low which is good for OEM PSU

jameswm

i7 3770 DOES support overclocking. It can be overclocked to 4.3GHz just with multipliers.
Correct. Non-K edition cpus support multiplier OCing but only the core multiplier can be changed and it can only be raised by a maximum of 4 steps above the default turbo multiplier (in other words +400MHz from max turbo.). K edition cpus have an unlimited core multiplier (technically it's not unlimited, just capped at a very high number that you would never be able to reach anyways) and other multipliers are unlocked as well.
I started to use my computer, it is going pretty good. I can run Zelda Twilight Princess (GC) at full speed Big Grin

Guess overclocking will not be needed, thanks a lot anyway.

@admin89 I might buy that EVGA GTX 650 later, it is like 5x more expansive than $100 here in my country...
500 USD ? That's a lot
Do you have any online shopping sites on you country , post it here !