Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: On-the-fly control scheme change.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

djnforce9

Just wondering. Is it possible or will it become possible in the future to allow for switching sets of keybindings on the fly? This would be really useful for games like "Super Mario Galaxy" that have mini-games which require a completely different set of controls. For example, normally I have this odd but VERY effective Mouse+Gamepad setup which simulates the pointer and nunchuck functionality. When I get to the surf mini-game, I would then want to re-bind the left analog stick to the wiimote left/right tilt and the A button from left click to the A button on my gamepad for accelerating (i.e. standard racing controls). When I get to the "Super Monkey Ball" like mini-game, I would want ALL tilt controls on the left stick allowing me to control Mario on the ball directly.

It would be neat to just hit a single "hotkey" on the keyboard to instantly switch schemes when they are needed as manually re-binding keys while the game is running is not only a pain but as I found out the hard way after completing the rolling ball section, it may sometimes crash the emulator too.

If Dolphin, can already do this, please let me know how as I couldn't see it.
I think the best you can do is saving every control scheme in a profile. Then, when you get into a mini game you open the config window, select the profile, click "load" and "ok", play the mini game and then switch back to the normal profile...

djnforce9

Thanks for the suggestion. I will try that for the time being. It's at least better than manually re-mapping buttons and gestures while the game is running in the background. Here's hoping for profiles on hotkey support someday to make the process even easier.
(03-05-2013, 09:05 AM)Jhonn Wrote: [ -> ]I think the best you can do is saving every control scheme in a profile. Then, when you get into a mini game you open the config window, select the profile, click "load" and "ok", play the mini game and then switch back to the normal profile...