Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Dolphin.exe has stopped working.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Tirinix

I'm encountering a strange crash whenever I try to start Dolphin. I double-click on the icon, nothing happens for ten seconds or so and then I get the error message "Dolphin.exe has stopped working". Before today I could restart my computer and for whatever reason it would work then, but now nothing works. I reinstalled it and made sure all my drivers are up to date but still nothing. Any suggestions?
It's possible that your firewall is blocking it. Have you tried adding dolphin.exe as an exception to firewall?
Why would that cause the application to crash? It would just cause the application to not be able to establish a network connection.
I guess I'm thinking along the lines of bluetooth connections to controllers since I've been messing with that for two days, lol. I know that I had to enable all kinds of things related to that in order to get the program to run right. Another thing to look at is allowing dolphin.exe in the DEP settings in the advanced performance settings. It's pretty common for those settings to cause that kind of error. The other possibilities are a virus or missing windows files/components.
Firewalls have nothing to do with bluetooth. A virus is highly unlikely to cause this. A missing file would likely throw an error message. A corrupt file could cause it to crash without an error message. DEP is disabled by default and would only be used on dolphin if he had it set to run on all programs. Even if that were the case and DEP was triggered it would produce a warning message.

I understand that you're just trying to help but if you don't know what you're talking about please don't start throwing out random suggestions. It really is worse than just saying nothing.

Instead check their specs to make sure they meet the requirements (his does). However his profile lists "windows x64" instead of the specific version of windows. So he could be using win xp x64 which would cause a crash. I doubt it since he said that he used to be able to get it to work by restarting the system which suggests a serious hardware issue. Also ask them what revision they're using to make sure it's either recent or official. They're supposed to provide all of this information in the OP since it's often needed to diagnose a problem like this.

It looks like he either has a bad build, a piece of hardware that is malfunctioning or a really serious OS problem that would be nearly impossible to debug.
Perhaps if someone "more knowledgeable," such as yourself had of actually responded to the original poster's request for help then I would not have felt compelled to do as he requested...and offer suggestions. As someone who had to spend two days figuring out and solving my own WiiMote problems I actually would have appreciated having people actually respond to questions and help. To you, it might seem worse to offer suggestions that might not fix a problem, but to the person with the problem to solve any attempt at help is appreciated.

I realize I am coming across as very snarky but I am probably old enough to be your mother and nothing chafes my arse more than someone being unnecessarily rude to someone who is simply trying to be nice and helpful.
(03-06-2013, 07:45 AM)WiiMoteConnectSuccess Wrote: [ -> ]Perhaps if someone "more knowledgeable," such as yourself had of actually responded to the original poster's request for help then I would not have felt compelled to do as he requested...and offer suggestions.

No one is obligated to respond to anyone, and it's certainly not his fault for living his life and not being online at the time this thread was created.

(03-06-2013, 07:45 AM)WiiMoteConnectSuccess Wrote: [ -> ]nothing chafes my arse more than someone being unnecessarily rude to someone who is simply trying to be nice and helpful.

We do appreciate the people who post here in an attempt to help others, but I don't see how he was being rude at all. NaturalViolence was just explaining why your suggestion wasn't a valid one. Anyway, it's not that big of a deal as we've all offered advice at one time or another that didn't help solve a problem, so lets just get back to the purpose of the topic and let those who want to offer other advice do so.