Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Laptop for playing ZTP (Linux)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello guys, my first post here.

I'm looking for a laptop for playing Zelda Twilight Princess on Linux at full speed.
My current laptop (my profile) runs most games at full speed on Windows and on Linux, however ZTP is slow on Linux and almost fine on Windows, except Hyrule Field (using EFB to ram on both)
Also, I can't even think about LLE because emulation is already using all my CPU, so musics are played messed up.

Anyone can help my with a new laptop? I am looking forward selling mine and buying a Sager laptop in July or later, something like these rigs:

Rig 1:
i7-3630QM @ 3.4GHz (Tubo Boost)
GTX 660M @ 2GB

or

Rig 2:
i7-3740QM @ 3.7GHz (Tubo Boost)
GTX 670MX @ 3GB GDDR5
Quote:July or later
New Haswell CPU is coming soon (Intel Core i7 4xxxQM Probably in June 2013) . Haswell outperforms Ivy Bridge (i7 3xxxQM) and Haswell has mobo components integrated to CPU
Quote:i7-3630QM @ 3.4GHz (Tubo Boost)
i7-3740QM @ 3.7GHz (Tubo Boost)
That is single core turbo boost . It should be like this :
i7-3630QM turbo boost
_3.4GHz (1 core active)
_3.3GHz (2 cores active)
_3.2GHz (4 cores active)

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-Core-...051.0.html

i7 3630QM will run at 3.2-3.3GHz while you're using Dolphin (Dolphin is a dual core application)

i7 4xxxQM @ 3.5GHz ( 2 cores active ) or higher should be ok for ZTP .
Edit : This CPU

Quote:however ZTP is slow on Linux and almost fine on Windows
That's normal . OpenGL - Linux/ MacOSX is always slower than Direct3D9 - Windows
Windows 7/8 x64 is recommended
(02-25-2013, 10:07 PM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]Haswell has mobo components integrated to CPU

I still want to know why people think that >.>, broadwell does that not haswell
admin89 Wrote:That's normal . OpenGL - Linux/ MacOSX is always slower than Direct3D9 - Windows

In most situations, they should be on par actually, for Linux at least. This, however, depends on your GPU and the drivers you're using. It could be possible that some (or all?) of AMD's Linux drivers simply aren't as developed as their Windows counterparts, at least in regards to how they implement OpenGL.

FHaze, if you're interested in getting the most speed out of the OpenGL, have a look at the GLSL-master branch. It's being tested for a merge with the master branch, but it might prove worthwhile for you. That said, LoZ:TP performance in Dolphin depends greatly on your CPU if your GPU isn't the bottleneck, so don't expect miracles on your current laptop.

Additionally, I'd second waiting for Haswell laptops to come to the market. Prices should be roughly the same as now, but you'll get the performance increases brought by Intel's upcoming microarchitecture.
Quote:broadwell does that not haswell
Both of them does that . Haswell goes with VRMs (voltage regulator module) first then Broadwell will integrate more mobo components
(02-26-2013, 01:32 AM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:broadwell does that not haswell
Both of them does that . Haswell goes with VRMs (voltage regulator module) first then Broadwell will integrate more mobo components

Link?

Edit: nvm found it
Thanks for the responses guys.

Hmm.. getting a Haswell would do the trick for me, but I don't know if prices here in Brazil would let me buy one this year.
For now I'll give GLSL-master branch a shot and maybe 13.2 Beta Catalyst, any performance improvement on Dolphin is worthy.

Edit: just tried GLSL-master, it appears broken for me.
[Image: th_Screenshot-02252013-100333PM.png]