Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: x64 benefits?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Well, today i've installed the first time Windows 7 (x64). I always read that emulation is much faster & stable on x64 (Dolphin) or DX10 (pcsx2). So i tried several games and was kinda shocked. The framerate is much lower than XP x86! But thats not all, i've also noticed less stability means its now crashing more.
That are my first impressions of this praised combination.

My System:

AMD Phenom II X4 940@ 3,4Ghz
MSI Geforce 280GTX Super-OC
4 Gig Kingston DDRII 1066Mhz RAM
That's shitty luck, or a misconfigured revision of Dolphin.

Post full Dolphin config and rev number on both OS.

EDIT: I know video drivers might have something to do, but let's see things step by step
Well, I have a windows 7 x64 too, and a CPU @ 3'5, so it shouldn't be any important perfomance differency between your computer and mine, and I can assure you that I'm getting higher FPS on the x64 version that in the x86 version, the difference is about 10 - 15 FPS more o less.

If you are getting lower framerate try to use the JITIL version, and add this line to Dolphin.ini, in the [Core] section:

ProfiledReJIT = True

It will increase your FPS, but you must use rev 3820 or higher.

Ah, and don't forget to check if you are in dual core mode xD
[Image: dolphino.th.jpg]

That are the settings I'm using in both x86 and x64. Well, on x86 it was running rev 3818, now I'm using 3823 for W7.
[Image: link64.th.jpg]

This is a good example as my fps were always over 60 in that scene. I notice W7 x64 is about 10-20 fps slower than XP x86.
(07-18-2009, 09:42 AM)Klotzek Wrote: [ -> ][Image: dolphino.th.jpg]

That are the settings I'm using in both x86 and x64. Well, on x86 it was running rev 3818, now I'm using 3823 for W7.
[Image: link64.th.jpg]

This is a good example as my fps were always over 60 in that scene. I notice W7 x64 is about 10-20 fps slower than XP x86.

The revision difference could be it. However, i get noticably lower framerates in windows 7 than xp in other games, I think it is because of graphics drivers because they are still in beta but who knows? :O
Video drivers might be the one causing the problems, got any other games to compare fps (PC games i mean)? You can try disabling anti-aliasing to see if it makes some difference, or aero... but seeing it's a GTX280, just try anyways.
CacoFFF is right, it might be a drivers issue. W7 automatically installs drivers for the GPUs, but this drivers cause me some trouble, and low perfomance ( I own a 9800 GTX)

U should go to nvidia site and download the newest version of video drivers... I think the WHQL is now 186.16, at least when I updated my drivers was that Tongue
I have currently 186.18 installed and the performence difference in 3D mark 06 is not that big. It went from 17500 to 16800 points but i guess thats just Windows 7 still beeing beta. I have also tried that new Resident Evil 5 benchmark for PC and the performence is better because of DX10. I think you are right, its AA causing the frame drop so if i disable it its just like on XP with fully AA. Anyway i thought x64 would be faster : D
@chip1980

I have manually installed the latest driver available on Nvidia webpage.
yeah i would stick with x86 xp for now... I am allmost 100% sure the drivers on win 7 are poor because I installed win 7 on my old computer and got about 20fps in tf2 with all settings on low when running everything on high on xp was just peachy with like 40fpsish Tongue but i just got a new computer with vista installed and my xp cd died so im just going to live with windows 7 rc for a while
Uhh... I think you are right, I always play without AA, but now I'm turning on and I have a lower perfomance.

So, now we know what is the cause Tongue
Pages: 1 2 3