Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Macbook Air (2010): Can it run at least GC games already?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

augure

Hi.

Because of my small wallet, I currently don't have anything but a Macbook Air from 2010 (1.86Ghz Core 2 Duo, Geforce 320M, 4GB DDR3) which I heard as powerful as the MBA 2011 and not far from the MBA 2012, so it doesn't change much.

I never plan on making Wii game work on it as I know it's pretty fairly recent and Macbook sucks for gaming.
But the Gamecube? It was release in EFFIN 2001 and my Macbook Air is FROM 2010 and I can't even make a single game run appropriately ?

Come on, I have the last Dolphin build, ripped lots of my own games but none of them, whether Mario Sunshine, Wind Wake, F-Zero GX or even Crazy Taxi seem to be able to run EVEN with everything on low settings. In fact is are my complete graphic/audio settings:

Audio
- DSP HLE emulation (fast)
- Backend: CoreAudio
- Nothing else checked

Graphics
General Option
- Enable Dual Core
- Enable Idle Skipping
- No Limit by FPS (doesn't change anything when I check it)
- JIT Recompiler (recommended)
General graphics
- Backend: OpenGL
- Resolution: 640x480
- Aspect Ratio: Auto
- V-Sync & Full screen: unchecked
- Other: Show FPS checked, everything else is unchecked
Enhancement
- Internal Resolution: 1x Native (640x528)
- AA: None
- AF: 1x
- Post-Processing Effect: Off
- Everything else is unchecked
Hacks
- Skip EFB access from CPU: checked
- Ignore Format Change checked by default
- EFB Copies: disabled
- Accuracy: fast
- External Frame Buffer: disabled
- Other: everything unchecked (teste everything with F-Zero, it didn't change much)
Advanced
- Everything is unchecked

Of course I tried to tweak this and that but it didn't change anything: all games give me from 30 to 45% of speed when playing, which is unplayable, even though everything is set to minimum.

WHAT AM I DOING WRONG? Is a 2010 PC and graphic card with a native 64-bit emulator not even able to play a Gamecube game which was released in 2001 ???

Please help.
Quote:1.82Ghz Core 2 Duo
is horrible
Minimum CPU requirement for most GC games (not include demanding games) : Core i3 @ 2.5GHz
Quote:Nvidia 320M
is weak . Stick with lowest settings

Quote:Is a 2010 PC and graphic card with a native 64-bit emulator not even able to play a Gamecube game
Even in 2010 , your laptop was listed as low-end laptop (High-end laptop 2009 used Core 2 Duo P9700@ 2.8GHz )
http://dolphin-emu.org/docs/faq/#what-cp...es-dolphin
(02-17-2013, 11:55 AM)augure Wrote: [ -> ]But the Gamecube? It was release in EFFIN 2001 and my Macbook Air is FROM 2010 and I can't even make a single game run appropriately
If you went through Dolphin's website you should have read that it takes a large amount of CPU performance to emulate a GameCube game. While they are old, it takes a lot of power to play them on a virtual GameCube that has to replicate the original CPU and GPU of the GameCube. For instance, there is a game you may or may not of heard of (I hope you have) called Need For Speed Hot Pursuit 2. Your MacBook could easily run that game at full speed on the PC version. If you tried playing it on Dolphin, you would get servere slowdowns and a permanent low frame rate. If you want the full reason why this is how it is, go to this link: http://dolphin-emu.org/docs/faq/%23what-...late-old-c

augure

So, even today's Macbook Air (1.8Ghz i5, Intel HD4000, 4GB Ram) can't even play a GC game ?

I can accept that it's not great for gaming, at all, but emulating Gamecube games from 2001 should still be possible in the least settings?

So I was wondering if rather than just blaming the hardware (I know it's not powerful or won't run Battlefield or even Wii games, but Gamecube games?) there was some mistakes or things I did wrong with the settings to at least be able to play it decently.
(02-17-2013, 12:53 PM)augure Wrote: [ -> ]So, even today's Macbook Air (1.8Ghz i5, Intel HD4000, 4GB Ram) can't even play a GC game
I can accept that it's not great for gaming, at all, but emulating Gamecube games from 2001 should still be possible in the least settings?
I just added the link. Read it.
(02-17-2013, 12:53 PM)augure Wrote: [ -> ]So I was wondering if rather than just blaming the hardware (I know it's not powerful or won't run Battlefield or even Wii games, but Gamecube games?) there was some mistakes or things I did wrong with the settings to at least be able to play it decently.
You didn't do anything wrong, you're settings are as low as low can be. Your CPU just isn't good enough to emulate GameCube games. I recommend playing DeSmuME, Mupen64, and other emulators for different systems (except PS2) to have fun gaming and make the most of your MacBook. If you want to get the emulators go to http://www.emulator-zone.com/
MacBook Air / Ultrabook + Dolphin = overheating
i5 3427U @ 1.8GHz with turbo boost 2.6GHz (2 cores active) is ultra low voltage CPU (low-end CPU). It's a bit slower than i3 380M @ 2.5GHz
If you keep the laptop run cool enough to enable turbo boost 2.6GHz , most GC games will be playable (Of course , demanding games such as F Zero , Pokémon XD , Metroid ...are out of the question)
Don't compare emulation to PC games , those 2 are completely different .
BTw , there are many GC games which are even more demanding than Wii games

augure

Thank you both for you answers.

Yeah I kind of figured that, no matter what, my Macbook Air was too bad for gaming, knowing that even current Pro (GPU-less ones ie. all but the overpriced 15" Retina) or iMacs 21" are not up to basic PC rigs.

I think I'll just buy a regular desktop PC to play Dolphin/PCS2X correctly.
(02-17-2013, 11:55 AM)augure Wrote: [ -> ]Hi.

Because of my small wallet, I currently don't have anything but a Macbook Air from 2010 (1.86Ghz Core 2 Duo, Geforce 320M, 4GB DDR3) which I heard as powerful as the MBA 2011 and not far from the MBA 2012, so it doesn't change much.

I never plan on making Wii game work on it as I know it's pretty fairly recent and Macbook sucks for gaming.
But the Gamecube? It was release in EFFIN 2001 and my Macbook Air is FROM 2010 and I can't even make a single game run appropriately ?

Come on, I have the last Dolphin build, ripped lots of my own games but none of them, whether Mario Sunshine, Wind Wake, F-Zero GX or even Crazy Taxi seem to be able to run EVEN with everything on low settings. In fact is are my complete graphic/audio settings:

Audio
- DSP HLE emulation (fast)
- Backend: CoreAudio
- Nothing else checked

Graphics
General Option
- Enable Dual Core
- Enable Idle Skipping
- No Limit by FPS (doesn't change anything when I check it)
- JIT Recompiler (recommended)
General graphics
- Backend: OpenGL
- Resolution: 640x480
- Aspect Ratio: Auto
- V-Sync & Full screen: unchecked
- Other: Show FPS checked, everything else is unchecked
Enhancement
- Internal Resolution: 1x Native (640x528)
- AA: None
- AF: 1x
- Post-Processing Effect: Off
- Everything else is unchecked
Hacks
- Skip EFB access from CPU: checked
- Ignore Format Change checked by default
- EFB Copies: disabled
- Accuracy: fast
- External Frame Buffer: disabled
- Other: everything unchecked (teste everything with F-Zero, it didn't change much)
Advanced
- Everything is unchecked

Of course I tried to tweak this and that but it didn't change anything: all games give me from 30 to 45% of speed when playing, which is unplayable, even though everything is set to minimum.

WHAT AM I DOING WRONG? Is a 2010 PC and graphic card with a native 64-bit emulator not even able to play a Gamecube game which was released in 2001 ???

Please help.

My MacBook Pro Mid 2010 has the same issue, its the upgraded 2.66ghz core i7 model in the 15" size
This thread's previous reply was over a decade ago; you probably could have just made a new thread...

(04-27-2024, 02:40 AM)Austingabe13 Wrote: [ -> ]My MacBook Pro Mid 2010 has the same issue, its the upgraded 2.66ghz core i7 model in the 15" size

My sister has an 8440p with a similar i5-520M CPU of the same 2core/4thread Westmere-derived Arrandale architecture but just a slightly lower clockrate (2.4GHz) and, even in graphically undemanding games like Tetris Party Deluxe, it tended to be unable to run at full speed.

Heck, I found that even its desktop "big brother" with full-fat Nehalem in the form of a Xeon X3470 set to only 2core/4thread so it'd run at its max turbo of 3.6GHz would bounce between 60fps and the mid-40s in specifically F-Zero GX on the rather simple track "Sonic Oval" in 3-player split-screen, and this was with F-Zero GX's per-game emulator options to manually set to use dual-core and this was paired with a full-fat desktop Radeon HD5870 (though I actually was using a HD5850 bios for various reasons, not that it'd be anywhere near the bottleneck anyway).

tl;dr is that Nehalem/Westmere and its mobile derivatives simply didn't really do much if anything for Dolphin relative to the Core2-derived processors, and this of course coincided with AMD's near-decade of single-threaded performance stagnation between Phenom II and Ryzen). It wasn't until the next generation, Sandy Bridge, that there were notable improvements in Dolphin performance (and two generations later with Haswell saw a massive performance uplift in Dolphin that has pretty much made CPU things a non-issue outside of lower-clocking 15w parts that like to throttle under load).

Honestly, outside of trying to use newer hardware (the aforementioned Haswell stuff is over a decade old now and desktop CPUs go for dirt-cheap now; like $15 USD), your best bet is to experiment with reducing the "Emulated CPU clock override" option in "Settings" ▶ the "Advanced" tab (you can actually change it even while emulation is running to gauge the impact), but keep in mind that this setting is extremely hit-or-miss and could either make a game completely playable, make a game have worse performance, or make a game completely broken.
(04-28-2024, 05:13 AM)Nintendo Maniac 64 Wrote: [ -> ]This thread's previous reply was over a decade ago; you probably could have just made a new thread...

My sister has an 8440p with a similar i5-520M CPU of the same 2core/4thread Westmere-derived Arrandale architecture but just a slightly lower clockrate (2.4GHz) and, even in graphically undemanding games like Tetris Party Deluxe, it tended to be unable to run at full speed.

Heck, I found that even its desktop "big brother" with full-fat Nehalem in the form of a Xeon X3470 set to only 2core/4thread so it'd run at its max turbo of 3.6GHz would bounce between 60fps and the mid-40s in specifically F-Zero GX on the rather simple track "Sonic Oval" in 3-player split-screen, and this was with F-Zero GX's per-game emulator options to manually set to use dual-core and this was paired with a full-fat desktop Radeon HD5870 (though I actually was using a HD5850 bios for various reasons, not that it'd be anywhere near the bottleneck anyway).

tl;dr is that Nehalem/Westmere and its mobile derivatives simply didn't really do much if anything for Dolphin relative to the Core2-derived processors, and this of course coincided with AMD's near-decade of single-threaded performance stagnation between Phenom II and Ryzen). It wasn't until the next generation, Sandy Bridge, that there were notable improvements in Dolphin performance (and two generations later with Haswell saw a massive performance uplift in Dolphin that has pretty much made CPU things a non-issue outside of lower-clocking 15w parts that like to throttle under load).

Honestly, outside of trying to use newer hardware (the aforementioned Haswell stuff is over a decade old now and desktop CPUs go for dirt-cheap now; like $15 USD), your best bet is to experiment with reducing the "Emulated CPU clock override" option in "Settings" ▶ the "Advanced" tab (you can actually change it even while emulation is running to gauge the impact), but keep in mind that this setting is extremely hit-or-miss and could either make a game completely playable, make a game have worse performance, or make a game completely broken.
Alright, I do have a haswell MacBook Pro thats broken and it ran so much better,
Pages: 1 2