Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Game Runs at 60 FPS, then drops to 0 FPS and crashes.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Kavan

Hello, Support Forums!

My name is Kavan, and I recently Downloaded the Dolphin Emulator program. I was feeling nostalgic and wanted to play a game I was fond of in the past, Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance. If you are unaware of the Fire Emblem franchise, let me give you a quick summary (This is very important later on). Fire Emblem is a strategy game where you control a handful of units in a grid and use them to complete your specific level's task (usually to defeat all the other team's units). Think of the game as a large game of Chess, but each character has a specific interface and inventory for items.

The first 15 minutes of play went smooth as can be. No problems at all, except I disliked how the key mapping was done. The "A" button was X on the keyboard and the "B" button was Z. This seemed quite odd to me, so I decided to change the bindings where A=Z and B=X. This caused the game to crash when I tried to have any of my units complete an action, such as changing weapons or attacking an enemy. It would simply fade to the white tone and the "windows has stopped working" message would appear. I switched the key bindings back to default and assumed it was fine.

But now whenever I attempt certain actions, the game drops from a steady 60 FPS to 0 FPS and then Crashes (in the same manner as stated above). The peculiar thing is that It is fine as long as I don't use specific actions. For example, If I move Unit X 4 spaces forward and try to open his items tab, the game will crash. In fact, no matter where / when I try to open Unit X's item tab, the game will crash. But if I do not move that unit or make him do a different command, he will be fine.

The problem is strategy games such as this require precise steps, and in most cases they must be done in a very specific order to ensure victory. The fact of the matter is that the emulator dropping to 0 FPS (It says that it is at 0 FPS on the top bar) is game breaking.
If Anyone has any way of solving this problem it is greatly appreciated, as it seems that the forums do not have posts with the same problem as me.
Did u try to redump your game?

Kavan

(02-07-2013, 04:01 PM)DefenderX Wrote: [ -> ]Did u try to redump your game?
Really sorry, I don't know what "redumping" is.... I'm pretty new to Dolphin...
From the Official Dolphin Dictionary:

Quote:redump (ri:duhmp)
verb (used with object)
  1. to dump something again
  2. to obtain a disc image from its primary source once more; to make another disc copy

Once you redump your game, try using a program that can generate MD5 hashes on it. Once you have the hash for your game, compare it to the hashes of copies that are verified to work, such as the online databases on Redump.org or GameTDB. If your hash does not match theirs, redump your game until it does. If you redump your game, and the hashes match, and you still get issues, post your settings here, since you'll have eliminated your dump as the problem.
Where did you get that definition? :p
From the Official Dolphin Dictionary. It comes as a PDF with Dolphin Pro. In all seriousness, I wrote it myself. I did Major in English. This is all a bit off-topic though.