Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Virtual GC Save to Virtual Wii game?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey Everybody,

So I've been searching all over and I can't see how to do this anywhere. Here's my problem.
I played a GC game on Dolphin (Fire Emblem Path of Radiance), beat it, have the file saved on the Dolphin memory card. I can make it a .gci and all that jazz. I now have the sequel, (Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn) which allows you to import data from a gamecube save file of the original game. I need to know, how I use the save from a Dolphin Gamecube game with a Dolphin Wii game. Tons of info on using a real gamecube or a real wii and back and forth, but virtual to virtual I can't find a thing.

Anybody have any advice?

Thanks a lot.
You shouldn't need to do anything other than connect the memory card. Is that not the case?
(02-07-2013, 03:45 PM)RachelB Wrote: [ -> ]You shouldn't need to do anything other than connect the memory card. Is that not the case?
I don't know what you mean by connect the memory card. Huh It's the virtual card, like the save file is just a file on my computer's hard drive.

Basically I need to know if there's a way to use a virtual GC save file that was made in Dolphin and insert it into what would be the gamecube memory card slot on a physical wii, while also using Dolphin. So, inside the Wii parts of Dolphin, is there the virtual equivalent of the gamecube memory card slots one finds on a physical Wii? And if yes, where do I find them?
Make sure in config in the gamecube tab, slot A is set to a memory card, and is pointing to the right memory card file.
(02-07-2013, 07:48 PM)RachelB Wrote: [ -> ]Make sure in config in the gamecube tab, slot A is set to a memory card, and is pointing to the right memory card file.
Yeah it is, but the Wii doesn't look for a Gamecube memory card
(02-08-2013, 02:19 AM)feastyoureartongues Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-07-2013, 07:48 PM)RachelB Wrote: [ -> ]Make sure in config in the gamecube tab, slot A is set to a memory card, and is pointing to the right memory card file.
Yes it does, how else would it get the data?
(02-08-2013, 03:45 AM)ExtremeDude2 Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-08-2013, 02:19 AM)feastyoureartongues Wrote: [ -> ]
Yes it does, how else would it get the data?
Maybe I'm not being clear since I don't know all the correct terms, let me try again. On a real Wii, there's a slot to insert a Gamecube memory card, a Wii game can then access that memory card and use it to adjust the Wii game. I'm wondering if on Dolphin, I can use a .gic file (which I created with Dolphin) as if it were in said card slot, while running a Wii game.
(02-08-2013, 04:50 AM)feastyoureartongues Wrote: [ -> ]I'm wondering if on Dolphin, I can use a .gci file (which I created with Dolphin) as if it were in said card slot, while running a Wii game.

You don't need any .gci file if you got a savefile in your MC. Your Wii game will read directly from your savefile in your MC if you correctly indicated the exact location of your MC in Config/GC
(02-08-2013, 04:55 AM)LordVador Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-08-2013, 04:50 AM)feastyoureartongues Wrote: [ -> ]I'm wondering if on Dolphin, I can use a .gci file (which I created with Dolphin) as if it were in said card slot, while running a Wii game.

You don't need any .gci file if you got a savefile in your MC. Your Wii game will read directly from your savefile in your MC if you correctly indicated the exact location of your MC in Config/GC
Ah, so it should be automatic? Let me just make sure I have my MC configured right. So I open config, go to the gamecube tab, Slot A is set to memory card. I click on the ... for browse and User/GC opens and I have memorycardA.USA.raw selected, which is my only memory card and has the save file I need on it.
Is that the correct setup?

Wait I think I've got it! if I'm right it's embarrassing that I could be this stupid. The GC game is an American file but the Wii game is European! Is that the kind of thing that could cause this problem? I can't believe I didn't realize!
(02-08-2013, 05:14 AM)feastyoureartongues Wrote: [ -> ]Ah, so it should be automatic? Let me just make sure I have my MC configured right. So I open config, go to the gamecube tab, Slot A is set to memory card. I click on the ... for browse and User/GC opens and I have memorycardA.USA.raw selected, which is my only memory card and has the save file I need on it.
Is that the correct setup?

This is the correct setup.

(02-08-2013, 05:14 AM)feastyoureartongues Wrote: [ -> ]Wait I think I've got it! if I'm right it's embarrassing that I could be this stupid. The GC game is an American file but the Wii game is European! Is that the kind of thing that could cause this problem? I can't believe I didn't realize!

And this is probably your problem