Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Peculiar slowdown issues
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Artea

This happens with most games and regardless of the revision I use. Basically, when I start up Dolphin, I'm able to play a game at full 60 fps...until a few minutes later, when it slows down to usually something around 20-40. Even if I lower the resolution to native, the problem still persists and tweaking around with the various graphic options doesn't seem to help either. If I close and restart Dolphin, the same thing happens, only the slowdown occurs much faster (usually within a minute rather than a few minutes).
I suspect the problem is software rather than hardware, because I can play higher resolutions with the same ease as lower ones and the slowdown always occurs regardless of the settings. I'm using a notebook and my energy profile is set to 'maximum performance'. My graphic settings are pretty much the default settings, except for the OpenMP texture decoder which I have enabled (though it doesn't seem to make much of a difference).

Any help would be kindly appreciated.

My specs:

Operating System:
Windows 7 x64

Processor/CPU:

AMD Phenom II X4 N970

Video Card/GPU:

AMD Radeon HD 6650M

Memory/RAM:

6 GB DDR3 Memory

Dolphin Revision Currently Using:

Dolphin 3.5-367
(02-06-2013, 01:41 AM)Artea Wrote: [ -> ]I'm using a notebook and my energy profile is set to 'maximum performance'

Your notebook is probably overheating. You should check your temperature

Artea

It doesn't get unusually hot when the slowdown occurs (I should've put that in my opening post).
(02-06-2013, 01:59 AM)Artea Wrote: [ -> ]It doesn't get unusually hot when the slowdown occurs (I should've put that in my opening post).

What temperature do you get when it occurs?
And with which games does it happen?

Artea

Okay, I used a program to monitor temperature while I was running Dolphin. Anyway, the temp of my GPU when I'm not doing anything is around 70 (celsius). Then when I play on Dolphin, it rises to around 80 and it's then that the slowdown occurs. As for the cores, the idle temperature is 73-74 and when the slowdown starts to occur it's around 88 (the program lists the average of the four cores). Oh, and the game I'm currently playing is Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance. Another game that I was trying to play before was Summoner: A Goddess Reborn and it had similar slowdown issues.

Thoughts?
(02-06-2013, 05:33 AM)Artea Wrote: [ -> ]As for the cores, the idle temperature is 73-74 and when the slowdown starts to occur it's around 88 (the program lists the average of the four cores)

It's too hot.

(02-06-2013, 05:33 AM)Artea Wrote: [ -> ]and the game I'm currently playing is Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance. Another game that I was trying to play before was Summoner: A Goddess Reborn and it had similar slowdown issues.

Yeah these games are very demanding for your system.