Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: What do you think about Xbox IllumiRoom?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I always find interesting opinions about technology here, so I'd like to see what do you think about Microsoft's latest idea, seems very impressive to me, tough I think it is probably far from being a reality yet. Only thing is that I couldn't figure out where the projector is placed D:
I'm also concerned about how this would look like in a non-dark (forgot the word XD) environment.

If you haven't checked it out, here's a video, it is very awesome Smile

It looks expensive, pointless, and difficult to calibrate. Also my furniture would greatly diminish the effect.
Reminds me of how I used to play around with projectors when I was younger. It is really fun to experiment, but then I put it away and gave up the gimmicking. Projecting on walls is cool, until you realize that you have to have:

1: 100% white walls for best effect. Wallpaper and you're screwed
2: No pictures of nana
3: No windows (ah the irony, microsoft)
4: All lights off except the projectors and monitors. Compared to a TV/monitor, projectors suck, even the newest $2000 pro quality ones. And I doubt a toy with 6 projectors built in would have that kind of quality anyway.
5: No bookshelves, furniture of any kind against the walls
6: Screw it, toss out all the furniture, anything that gets in the way of the projector has to go
7: A big room. But you already bought a new house for Kinect right?
8: A system of projectors perfectly centered and calibrated. If you have ever used a projector before, you should know they are NEVER calibrated right. It's impossible. The bloody things are always screwed up in some way. And having worked with projectors over the long term, I know that you can never just set and forget them. The buggers will drift, they need bulbs changed, on and on. They love to torment the techs that run them. They are pure evil.

So let's say you do it. You buy a bigger house with a room with enough throw for the projectors, you build over the windows, paint everything white, and have no furniture. Then you set it up and spend an hour calibrating the thing (add another hour every time you bump it). What do you get? Something you never pay attention to anyway. It's a stupid idea. Humans see in 2D with a depth modifier. We see to the side in periphery because of lenses in our eyes that bend the image. The game uses Field of View to achieve the same thing. So what you see on the monitor is what your character would see. Why do we need massive peripheral vision stuff all around you that someone in that world wouldn't be able to see anyway? The whole concept is rather silly to me.
As someone with very wide peripheral vision, I can say that I don't really 'zone in' on screens so well, and that this may stop me from spinning around in game and shooting a real-life plant that wafts in a real-life breeze behind me, but only because I'd have to strip everything else out of the room.This is probably not going to be much good, and an eyefinity type arrangement may work better.
Lols, I'd guessed it would be heavily flamed Big Grin but I like the I idea, tough it really seems flawed. I just like the concept of things coming out of the screen you know, real 3D..
(02-11-2013, 01:02 PM)Runo Wrote: [ -> ]Lols, I'd guessed it would be heavily flamed Big Grin but I like the I idea, tough it really seems flawed. I just like the concept of things coming out of the screen you know, real 3D..
I actually can't see 3D at all, so at this point I'm just waiting for 4k monitors and 4k GPUs.
They should be mainstream by the time I get my Master's. Tongue