Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Question on clock speeds
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey guys, Long time since I've posted.

I got my i5 2500k and a GTX 550Ti finally. I've had it at 4.6 Ghz for about 6 months now. I was wondering if 4.6 Ghz is excessive? I can't seem to push past it on my Mobo, so I just kinda stuck with it.

I was reading elsewhere on these forums that you guys are recommending 4.4 Ghz. Is 4.6 Ghz excessive, or will it just add to the experience?

Thanks for reading
Tir
As long as it's "stable" enough then it isn't excessive Big Grin
Lower it if you feel a need to. If you lower it and you get any noticeable lag, raise it back up.
But if it's cool and sensibly voltaged, then you won't have any problems. If it's fine at that speed, then there's no real reason to make it worse.
(02-02-2013, 11:18 AM)AnyOldName3 Wrote: [ -> ]But if it's cool and sensibly voltaged, then you won't have any problems. If it's fine at that speed, then there's no real reason to make it worse.
I have it topped out at 1.38V I think, it's hovering around 1.350 V, That's still acceptable right?
Intel has the VID range for SNB-E as 0.6V-1.35V so I would say yes.
I wouldn't go higher. Tongue
So far stable temps, voltage and a decent cooler is present, it should hold.
The difference between 4.6GHz and 4.4GHz are minimal. 1.35v is decent, and you can use it for 24/7 usage.

I run mine at 4.5GHz with 1.26v. If I were you, I'd go for something along the 1.20~1.30v range for 24/7 usage.
Trying to go higher, eg 4.8GHz will require me to bump it up to 1.35v for minimal performance gain.
If you manage to get your rig stable at 4.3GHz or so at 1.20~1.30v, then keep it.

Go experiment and finetune your overclock!