Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: digital audio out?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Now that dolphin is supporting the openAL with surround decoder is there a way to use my spdif out? One way is to make my digital out the default device but that just takes all the sound from my desktop speakers away. For movies I just use the digital out option and the play is able to send the movie audio out to my digital surround. Any way to do this in dolphin?
Quote:One way is to make my digital out the default device but that just takes all the sound from my desktop speakers away.

Explain.

Quote:For movies I just use the digital out option and the play is able to send the movie audio out to my digital surround. Any way to do this in dolphin?

Yes.....exactly the way that you just said.

If I'm understanding you correctly you have two different speaker setups, a stereo speaker configuration hooked up directly via 3.5mm TRS and surround sound hooked up to a receiver which is connected via spdif. Is this correct?
Yes you are correct, 3.5mm to my stereo monitor speakers and spdif to my receiver.

"Explain." well if my default speak is my digital out, then the sound goes to my digital speakers when any sound is played. Problem here is when using the computer normally my OS sound effects are not heard since I dont have the surround on at that time. So I must leave my desktop as my default speakers.

"Yes.....exactly the way that you just said." huh? I said "For movies I just use the digital out option" if that is how it is done then please point me to that option. All sounds from dolphin go to the default set speakers unlike some apps where you can tell it to send digital sound to the spdif.
Why do you have two different sets of speakers hooked up to your computer? Why not just use the surround for everything?
The surreound maybe hooked to a HDTV and the speakers are turned differently then the PC and its speakers. I have a 5.1 speaker system hooked straight up to my PC via 3.5mm jacks into my PCI Creative X-Fi sound card personally but I can see the need allow output via a different connection like HDMI/SDIF out when you are outputing everything via HDTV and do not want the other pc sounds getting in the way and have them going to the PC speakers while the game/movie is playing on the big screen. SO having the option in Dolphin like most other emulators have would be a good thing. I have to use the DSound option in PCSX2 to get it to output on another connection so I know its possible.
Topken Wrote:The surreound maybe hooked to a HDTV

No. It's hooked up to a receiver which may or may not also be hooked up to an HDTV. It doesn't matter though because you can easily output video to a monitor while ouputing audio to the receiver over spdif.

Topken Wrote:and the speakers are turned differently then the PC and its speakers.

?????

Topken Wrote:I have a 5.1 speaker system hooked straight up to my PC via 3.5mm jacks into my PCI Creative X-Fi sound card personally but I can see the need allow output via a different connection like HDMI/SDIF out when you are outputing everything via HDTV and do not want the other pc sounds getting in the way and have them going to the PC speakers while the game/movie is playing on the big screen.

Explain. I see no reason to have two completely different sets of speakers hooked up to your PC at the same time. Are you saying you want to have "other sounds" going to the stereo so that you can mute them (by muting those speakers) while everything else goes to the surround?

Topken Wrote:SO having the option in Dolphin like most other emulators have would be a good thing. I have to use the DSound option in PCSX2 to get it to output on another connection so I know its possible.

It is indeed possible. Dolphin has no such option because nobody has requested it before. And the reason nobody has requested it before is because nobody has needed it. This setup is very unusual.
What I mean by turned is that the Surround sound speakers are surrounding the HDTV and not the PC monitor like when the PC is on the otherside of the room and the center speaker is under or above the HDTV instead of Under or Above the PC monitor and the other speakers are around that instead of around where you sit at the PC.

As for having 2 speaker systems hooked up. I prefer to have the main game/movie coming from the TV and everything else like System sounds and people coming and going on Instant Messaging services to come out of the PC so I can still keep an ear on them without them getting in the way of the HDTV sounds.

Yeah I know you can switch default audio outs in windows but not everyone wants to do that some people prefer to output only the sound from the emulator to the HDTV while leaving the rest of the sounds behind for the PC speakers and what if one person is using the pc and you still want to watch a movie/play a game on the big screen. Its possible to have the emulator pick up the gamepad inputs while its in the background while someone else uses something like a chat program or something.
If the HDTV/surround is in a different part of the room then I can understand this being useful. It's still very uncommon though. Very few applications support manually selecting the audio output device.

For the time being he has no choice but to change the default output device in windows if he wants to get surround sound.

@ulao
Open an issue ticket about this on the project's googlecode page.
I use my computer as a normal computer, but when I want to watch a movie or play games I send the output of the monitor to my big screen. When I watch a movie I send the digital out to spdif. I just need to know how to make dolphin send the digital out.

Quote:Why do you have two different sets of speakers hooked up to your computer? Why not just use the surround for everything?
I already commented on that. I never really understood why people offer suggestions like this? People have preferences and there is always a reason for it. Again; I like to use my computer like a normal computer, its really expensive to have my TV on when I dont need it. IF I turn on my receiver the monitor comes on with it. So I just leave it off unless I need it. Problem here is the sound will not be heard. So the default speaks must by my desktop set. Now when I play a game or watch a movie I turn my receiver on. With moves its a snap with the spdif out. With most other emulators I can use a trick to mirror the sound from desktop to spdif but obviously the digital codec is stripped. With dolphin, to use the decoder, I would need a spdif out option.

Quote:It is indeed possible. Dolphin has no such option because nobody has requested it before. And the reason nobody has requested it before is because nobody has needed it. This setup is very unusual.
Thx!

Can anyone point me in the right direction to open a ticket for this request?
You mean you've never done it before :O

http://code.google.com/p/dolphin-emu/issues/list
Pages: 1 2