Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Question to Devs: 3D Model Format of Wii & GC games?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
which are the 3D model formats used in Wii and GC? I would like to script a maxscript(maxscrpts are used in 3d studio max to program the tool internally, with the user can program plugins, exporters, tools, etc that enhance 3d studio max) in order to export those formats from 3d Studio Max, so people could be able to replace them into games like SSBB, Mario Kart, etc. However, In order to do that I would need to know some specifications about them.

I imagine that it most games have their own formats but which are the most important?
I'm not quite sure if the devs even care for these formats. Decoding of the model takes place in the game itself so it gets emulated as any other piece of code.
hmm, what kind of input does the video plugin recieve? it recieves the frames directly or does it recieve some kind of model format to render?
Its a format that gamecude and wii only. Its then converted into opengl struct. all the info you want to know it in the source. check it out sometime Smile
Assuming I knew the format of a popular 3d model file (any file type), the way how dolphin handle geometry and textures, would it be possible to make an internal 3d ripper with all texture mappings inside the Dolphin core or the OpenGL plugin?
What?
But by reading your questions i think i can safely assume that you don't have the necessary skills to do this.

What do you want to do? Replace models inside a game? I dont think this is possible. You could try to extract the model files from a game and try to reverse-engineer the model format, but good luck with that.
No, my intentions are to export the whole geometry that is displayed to a file, and to export the textures being applied to that geometry as well, I don't intend to decode model files at all.
I can later use an editor to delete the polygons i don't use anyways, although, it is probable that exporting 3d stuff this way, some of the parts of a specific model that are not seen, won't be exported (but a couple of exports on a paused game using free look will fix that).
I don't have the necessary skills to do that, but if it is possible, it would be a good point for me to start messing with Dolphin and learn something out of it.
(07-18-2009, 12:14 PM)Chaoscode Wrote: [ -> ]Its a format that gamecude and wii only. Its then converted into opengl struct. all the info you want to know it in the source. check it out sometime Smile

hmm, I see. When I get time I'll travel through that jungle.

Also does the Direct X plugin source also has that code? cause I'm more fluent in D3D than GL.
basically you just get a stream of vertex-data with associated settings like textures and (sort of) shaders. If you process them in D3D or OpenGL won't change the data. So, you can look in both plugins.
knew you would say that. I guess that I will have to download all the source and read header by header, cpp by cpp until I find out how it is read. I wish you guys kept some documentation, but NVM. + Rep to both.