Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: [GC] Pokémon Box: Ruby & Sapphire
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello!

I am currently have trouble with booting Pokemon Box with the recent builds of Dolphin including the latest one. (At the time of writing this, it was 9065). I am able to boot and play Pokemon Colosseum & XD without any problems. But the when I try to start this game, Pokemon Box, I start getting these errors like this - "Invalid read from 0x90650152, PC = 0x80014c3c". Each time I close the pop-up window, another one comes up but this time with a different hexadecimal number. I tried closing them, but they did not seem to stop coming up again and again. Also the game is not booted yet when the errors start. It just has a black screen.

I tried using Dolphin 4.0.2 and surprisingly, The game starts and asks to connect the GameBoy. But I could not get Dolphin 4.0.2 to work with VBA-M so I am a bit stuck currently. I searched the forums for anything related to my problem and I only found one thread related to my problem (https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-ga...okemon+box). But I could not find any solution to my problem. Please help me with my problem.

Error Screenshot:
My System Specs:
Thanks!
After a bit more of searching and experimenting with Dolphin, I was able to stop all those pop up messages from appearing. I disabled panic handlers and the game booted. But after the Nintendo Logo, I get a black screen. Help!
As you can see the game does not work.
After the few recent builds, it seems that Pokemon Box can finally be booted and played to a certain extend. Youtuber Locke Cole has finally managed to actually boot the game & even connect the game to VBA-M. Previously it was not possible by the experimental builds to even boot the game up properly. Only the last 'stable' release was able to boot the game but it was unable to connect to VBA-M. But with the newest releases, it is possible to boot the game and even connect to VBA-M by making a few changes in settings.

The game boots up if the emulator engine is changed from JIT to Interpreter. But the interpreter engine is unable to connect with VBA-M. A save state of title screen of the game has to be taken and the game has to be relaunched with the JIT Engine. By loading the save state, we can access the game. It is possible to make a stable connection to VBA-M running a pokemon game by using the same method that has been used to connect Pokemon Colloseum and XD with VBA-M. The ingame-saves cannot be used as game cannot be access directly when using JIT engine. It seems there are compatiblity issues with the JIT engine and the game. But once the game has booted past the nintendo logo and the game's title screen, the JIT engine performs without any issue.

All credits to this discovery goes to Locke Cole
[spoiler-Video by Locke Cole]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiqFWQsl6TM[/spoiler]
If you guys want JIT fixed, a good way to start would be to say what build broke the JIT.
I bisected it to 4.0-2368.
Sorry I could not help much in finding the build which broke the JIT as you have already found it. Is there anyway else I can assist with so that it gets fixed?
Now that 5.0 is released, I wanted to see if this game would finally load.  Thanks to Locke Cole's video and the links provided in the description, I was able to connect to Pokemon Box using Dolphin 5.0-165 in JIT Recompiler mode.  Turns out that transferring works perfectly and Pokemon Box runs at full speed!

Here's the steps I used for anyone interested in setting this up:
  • Download VisualBoyAdvance-M-WX-2.0.0-beta2.7z from the VBA-M Sourceforge page
  • In Dolphin, set GameCube controller port 2 to GBA
  • Start Pokemon Box and select "Go To Pokemon Box"
  • In VBA-M under Options>Game Boy Advance, check "Use BIOS file" and set the Bios file in the Configure>Boot ROM screen
  • Launch your Pokemon game in VBA-M, and make sure your save file is loading properly
  • In VBA-M under Options>Link, check Type>GameCube, then select "Start Network Link...", pick Client and type localhost into the Server text box, then click "Connect"
Notes:
  • Pokemon Box requires you to save in a Pokemon Center
  • If Pokemon Box doesn't start connecting when you start the network link, click Emulation>Reset in VBA-M
  • When you save in Pokemon Box, VBA-M will create a second save file instead of overwriting the original save.