Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Bigger file size for avatars
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi admins,

I just want to say, that the current file size for avatars (10kB) is not really sufficient. I had to compress my avatar and the quality is not really good (some people noticed it). So pls increase the file size to about 500kB or something like that.

Would be great Smile
500 is a bit big, i just changed mine and the site does the resizing automatically, also standard avatar pics are usually 100x75, so the admins are already cutting us some slack.
*dialup user here

500KiB is a bit much. 200KiB seems much more reasonable I'd think. I mean, the icons are 100x100 anyway, right?

Also, is there a cap on the dimensions? From what I can tell, the avatar resizer doesn't make a new image, it just squishes it and makes you load the full thing. Open an avatar in a new tab, you'll see it at a size bigger than what is displayed on the forum. If the cap is 500 KiB, that system encourages stupid stuff, like uploading a 1024x768 photo and have it squished into the space. Which means lots of 500KiB sized photos for me to download...
I think we can get a compromise on 2xxkB or so.
Everything is better than 10kB
Just resize it and compress it before uploading. I don't want to have to load 25 100KB avatars on a forum thread. A 100x100 indexed PNG should not take that much space.
(02-01-2013, 11:44 PM)delroth Wrote: [ -> ]I don't want to have to load 25 100KB avatars on a forum thread.

You'd only see at most 10 on any given page though, and most browsers cache images, so you'd only load a user's avatar once (until you clear the cache at least). Even so, the current limit seems fine.
And what about 50 or 75kB? Come on, your internet connection can't be that slow Tongue
It'll be hell when i use the forum on my phone, internet is as slow as shit on it.
You don't have a smartphone? The Dolphin forums support tapatalk ( http://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-tapatalk-plugin )
Pages: 1 2