Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Question about Super Mario Galaxy and Super Mario Galaxy 2
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have tried playing Super Mario Galaxy and Super Mario Galaxy 2 at my friends house on his real Wii and I was rather impressed on how well it looked and played. Naturally I was interested at how well this will run on Dolphin, especially on a laptop. I know that it is one of the most demanding games in Wii/GameCube library to try to play on Dolphin, but please try to answer this question in a professional manner (like " you should run at ** FPS and ** VPS, give or take a little), NOT like "go get the strongest available computer and overclock it to 4.5 GHz or more". As you might have guessed, I am wanting to know just what speed I can run SMG 1 or 2 with a: Windows 7 Home Premium 64x, B940 Intel processor @ 2.0 GHz, Intel HD Graphics Integrated or a: Windows 7 Home Premium 64x, i3-2370M @ 2.40 GHz, Intel HD Graphics Integrated. Also as a side note, which game is more demanding CPU wise? Super Mario Galaxy 1 or 2? I will always be playing this with the lowest GPU settings, will always use HLE for all levels except for bosses where I will use LLE, and I will always be playing this with the fastest CPU settings. Therefore with both games being very CPU intensive, I will buy and rip the less demanding game. I do not care what speed it will be playing at, I will be playing either game regardless of the game speed, but the faster it is the better. I just created this thread to see what kind of speed I can expect, and to see if my laptop will be any faster then my desktop. Thank you for reading this and I hope that this is in the proper section.
http://ark.intel.com/de/products/55626/I...e-2_00-GHz - This CPU, right?

Well... way... too... slow... You'll get 10-15 FPS I guess Big Grin And with LLE, maybe 5 FPS. Sorry, but this CPU is very, very, very weak.
thanks for the quick reply. believe it or not, I actually expected 5 fps with HLE, so that is good for me. I am used to hyper slow gaming, my brother and I run minecraft at 1 FPS on average, maybe 2 if we are lucky. Uh, do you know what the FPS and VPS would be for the i3 i mentioned?
The i3 ( http://ark.intel.com/de/products/53442/I...e-2_40-GHz ) has no Turbo Boost. But it's a lot better than the Pentium CPU. The performance will still be bad though, with HLE about 20-25 FPS I guess.
SMG1 is surprisingly more demanding than SMG2. Even my 3570k at 4.3GHz gets fps drops occasionaly in SMG1. Just stick with the sequel since it performs better and is a better game in general.
Quote:SMG1 is surprisingly more demanding than SMG2
That's true . There is no changes from the very old rev to recent Dolphin version , SMG1 always run slower
ok thanks for all the replys. I will go out and buy SMG2 in a few days. TBH, I expected much lower fps then that with HLE, so guess my brother's laptop was more powerful then I expected. This is kind of nitpicking, but I was planning on building a new computer with a friend with a AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor HDZ965FBGMBOX, and an undecided graphics card. We were not planning on overclocking, the clocks would stay at stock, and the graphics card would be capable of 1x to 2x IR in Dolphin. Would this machine perform better or worse then the i3 we talked about earlier (for SMG2), and what FPS difference would it be? I know that Intel rules supreme over AMD when it comes Dolphin, but I was wondering if this CPU was better then the i3 because of its status in the Dolphin CPU hierarchy chart in the forums. Any ideas fro how much a difference it would be? I would never try to overclock a CPU, so the stock clocks are what I am comparing.
(02-01-2013, 02:55 AM)shellashock Wrote: [ -> ]Would this machine perform better or worse then the i3 we talked about earlier (for SMG2), and what FPS difference would it be?

It will work better but it won't be enough for SMG 1/2 either. You can expect 40-45 fps max
40-45 FPS is fine. I never care about getting 100% speed. Thanks for all of the help. I will be using the i3 one until the Phenom is built. Thanks for the recommendation for SMG2 instead of 1. On a sidenote, how do you close a thread? This thread really doesn't have a use anymore, so it would be good to get this thread either deleted or closed. If there is any reason not to, just post the reason here.
Only mods/Admins can close a thread, but it's not necessary here Wink Enjoy playing with Dolphin!