Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Laptop Gamecube Dolphin
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Glyph

After much searching through this section of the forums I am still unsure why Dolphin runs at anywhere between 60% and 80% during gameplay segments.

So I was wondering if you guys could help me out. I'm running Gamecube emulation at the fastest possible settings (1x filter, direct 3D9) and I'm on a Toshiba Satellite laptop.

Toshiba StelliteL855D
Windows 7 64bit

AMD 4500M CPU with Radeon 7640G 4 cores
6GB ram

Is it simply that I have to overclock it?

Tell me If I forgot anything.
Quote:Is it simply that I have to overclock it?
There is no way to overclock AMD Trinity mobile CPU , AMD has locked it for good (Llano mobile CPU can be overclocked with k10stat though)
If you want to play most Gamecube games at decent speed , you should look for any CPU which is faster than Core i3 380M . Your CPU is even slower than i3 330M @ 2.1GHz , so don't hope much
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-Proc...436.0.html
The integrated GPU - AMD 7640G is fine for 2x native (720p), no AA , 16x AF

Glyph

(01-30-2013, 02:11 PM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:Is it simply that I have to overclock it?
There is no way to overclock AMD Trinity mobile CPU , AMD has locked it for good (Llano mobile CPU can be overclocked with k10stat though)
If you want to play most Gamecube games at decent speed , you should look for any CPU which is faster than Core i3 380M . Your CPU is even slower than i3 330M @ 2.1GHz , so don't hope much
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-Proc...436.0.html
The integrated GPU - AMD 7640G is fine for 2x native (720p), no AA , 16x AF

You say AMD Trinity. Is that the same as AMD A8 Vision? because that's what I have.
Yes.
I had thought AMD Trinity is a good buy before I read This thread and Benchmark score
Though I don't overclock my laptop (because I don't have the gut to do that) , an unlocked/cheap mobile CPU would be nice (sometime I can't stop myself from doing stupid things , I might overclock it eventually)

Glyph

Ok. That's kind of a bummer as I wont be able to get a new CPU in the foreseeable future.

Thanks for the help regardless!
(01-30-2013, 02:51 PM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]Though I don't overclock my laptop (because I don't have the gut to do that) , an unlocked/cheap mobile CPU would be nice (sometime I can't stop myself from doing stupid things , I might overclock it eventually)

With your added cooling it probably wouldn't be a problem for you, I'm even overclocking on stock cooling and it's fine most times if I like mid-80s temps.
I'm worried about the motherboard , it might not last long if I did that
Asus is a good mobo manufacturer , Acer ...not really
An i5 540M (similar to i5 480M) can be overclocked to 3.4GHz , that's kinda tempting Tongue