Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: 4,2 ghz safe with stock cooler?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey there,

I want to OC my future i5 3570k to 4,2 ghz. I wanted to make it go to something like 4,0ghz before, but i've heard i should push it just a little further with dolphin. Therefore, i wanted to know if relying on the stock cooler is still a good idea? (i've been running my c2duo, 3ghz to 3,6 ghz with the stock cooler, and never had any problem, so i thought it should be the same with an i5.)

Thank you for your advices.

PS : i'm also buying a gygabite gtx 660+ ti, and i was wondering what directx version would be better for dolphin with this card? I suppose dx11 should logically be very good, but i've heard different thoughts about it, some people even say that opengl is the better option, where does the truth lies x)?
Ivy bridge tends to run a bit hot so I'd say no
Same to Sandy Bridge , stock cooler won't cut it . Buy Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo , it's cheap .
GTX 660 is more than enough for 4x Internal Resolution , you should not waste money for the TI version . Rather use that money to buy an aftermarket cooler & thermal compound (Arctic MX-4) than waste money for a little better anti-aliasing
Speed : Direct3D9 > Dirext3D11 > OpenGL (Direct3D11 does perform better on some games) .
What are your temps?
(01-28-2013, 11:58 AM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]What are your temps?

(01-28-2013, 10:43 AM)guitou1000 Wrote: [ -> ]I want to OC my future i5 3570k to 4,2 ghz.
Damn, I'm too tired.

In that case I agree with you. It's likely going to run too hot unless the case is VERY well ventilated. And even then he would be cutting it close.
Possibly, but you'd be cutting it close. Surely you can spare an extra $20 for a 212+? It'll allow a much better overclock.