Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: PAL vs NTSC
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I recently hit the jackpot with a local thrift shop type store opening near my house. They have a games section with all sorts of old used wii. gamecube, ps2, and n64 games. However, despite the insanely dirt cheap prices, some of the games are PAL encoded instead of NTSC. If I buy these and rip them, does having a PAL version have any disadvantages in dolphin compared to the NTSC versions?

PS - they sell old systems and accessories too for super cheap so if anyone wants me to pick anything up let me know. They've got gamecube and ps2 controllers for $2!!!
PAL games run at 50FPS compared to the 60FPS of NTSC games. They also run at a slightly higher resolution.
PAL : 25 or 50 FPS
NTSC : 30 or 60 FPS
More FPS = smoother video playback
However , Less FPS = easier to reach full speed
Hi delroth, do you mean PAL runs in a higher NATIVE resolution? As in if I have dolphin set to 1920x1080 it doesn't matter? And thank you for the FPS info admin!
Um , for example PS2 native resolution :
_PAL : 576i
_NTSC : 480i
Oh ok. So they have their trade offs. Higher FPS for NTSC but higher resolution for PAL. So am I better off with the PAL versions?
Just use Internal Resolution (IR)
Your GPU is capable of running game at 4x native , 2x or 4x MSAA (Depending on the game , GPU intensive game or not) , 16x Anisotropic Filtering
(01-26-2013, 02:14 AM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]Just use Internal Resolution (IR)
Your GPU is capable of running game at 4x native , 2x or 4x MSAA (Depending on the game , GPU intensive game or not) , 16x Anisotropic Filtering

Ah ok thank you. I had that set to auto. Good to know!
Nope, auto is not the best position to set it at.

Also, setting the 'use PALEUR60' or whatever it is option enables PAL60, which is basically 60Hz PAL. PAL60 is a much better system than NTSC, so you'll see no disadvantage to using PAL with this option.
Assuming the game supports it ofc
Pages: 1 2 3