Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Build question and 3D SBS question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Kajos

Hi,

I was wondering; I read somewhere that the AMD A6-5400k performs pretty good with Dolphin (source: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=142375). This is a pretty cheap CPU/GPU combo, so is it worth it? Can someone recommend something better for the price?

Also, to note, I want to use Gnome on Ubuntu with Dolphin preferably. I read that Dolphin performs worse on Linux, is this true only for AMD or also Intel?

I don't want to spend too much on this machine as I only use it for some casual gaming and work. It needs to perform better than a laptop's i3, then I'm content.

Also, I have a 3D screen, passive - love it- , and want to use it with Dolphin. I know it's possible with Tridef, but as I said, I'm looking for a Linux implementation. I saw some not yet complete shaders for anaglyphic 3D; the depthmap was still missing. Is this something really hard to implement? I would be willing to implement it myself, if it is feasible in a weeks time or so.

Thanks for the good work btw. Gamecube and Wii are awesome gamemachines Smile
Kajos
Kajos Wrote:I was wondering; I read somewhere that the AMD A6-5400k performs pretty good with Dolphin (source: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=142375).

It doesn't. He must be running some pretty lightweight games. Also no offense but reading through that thread gives me the idea that most of those people are idiots that have no idea what they're talking about.

Kajos Wrote:This is a pretty cheap CPU/GPU combo, so is it worth it? Can someone recommend something better for the price?

What is "the price"? Are you planning an entire new build here? We need some information about your plans.

Kajos Wrote:Also, to note, I want to use Gnome on Ubuntu with Dolphin preferably. I read that Dolphin performs worse on Linux, is this true only for AMD or also Intel?

Maybe slightly. The performance penalty has nothing to do with AMD vs. Intel, that makes no sense.

Kajos Wrote:I don't want to spend too much on this machine as I only use it for some casual gaming and work. It needs to perform better than a laptop's i3, then I'm content.

We're going to need more information than that.

Dolphin is one of the most demanding applications that any consumer level system can run. You're not going to be able to run it well on low budget hardware.

Kajos Wrote:Also, I have a 3D screen, passive - love it- , and want to use it with Dolphin. I know it's possible with Tridef, but as I said, I'm looking for a Linux implementation. I saw some not yet complete shaders for anaglyphic 3D; the depthmap was still missing. Is this something really hard to implement? I would be willing to implement it myself, if it is feasible in a weeks time or so.

You're welcome to try. 3D vision is the closest thing we have to proper stereoscopic support. To my knowledge nobody has tried to develop a more universal solution so nobody knows how difficult it would be. Well I guess the guy working on VR support did something similar, and he said it was fairly easy but then again he seems like a damn good programmer.

Kajos

Thanks for your reply.
Did he already do it or did he think it was going to be easy? I'd love to do it, I've been dipping in shaders and OpenGL lately, but I wouldn't want to do it twice. I got a Oculus Rift coming in too, so that'd be a good idea too. Is he on this forum?

I can build a pc with with AMD A6 for 200 euros, that's nothing for you maybe, but quite some for me (study..) Wink Either way, the AMD A6 is little less than 70 euros, and has a built in GPU, although cheapish, I think better than most low profile GPUs. The build is smallform factor, so that's nice, and low on power consumption.

On the other build, I can get a Intel Pentium G860 3.0 Ghz with either a HD 2000 chip (probably not going to work well I think) or a GPU Geforce 610 or Radeon HD6670 (both around 60 euros and cpu also). I have the feeling any GPU below HD7750 or GTX 650 isn't going to produce much, am I wrong here?

Maybe I should leave it be, not trying to lowball the Dolphin requirements, but it is the best for gaming under Linux... (counting Pcsx2) Pcsx is pretty nice too, but development has stalled (also the PSX has some fundemental hardware change, lacking Z buffer or something, I'm not sure. Either way graphics don't improve much on PC).
Ivy Bridge G2120 @ 3.1GHz + Asrock B75 mobo
You can buy a graphic card later (Recommend : EVGA GTX 650 )
Quote:Thanks for your reply.
Did he already do it or did he think it was going to be easy? I'd love to do it, I've been dipping in shaders and OpenGL lately, but I wouldn't want to do it twice. I got a Oculus Rift coming in too, so that'd be a good idea too. Is he on this forum?

Yes: http://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-ocu...ft-support