Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Laptop random slowdowns
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have some problem with Dolphin. When I start playing some games on my laptop, it goes with fullspeed with almost maximum settings. But some time later my speed drops to 40-50%. My specs:

CPU: Intel Core i5-460M - 2,53 GHz
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GT 420M - 1 GB
RAM: 4 GB DDR3

At first I thought that my laptop might overheating so I installed CoreTemp and checked the temp. Strange, but CPU temp with running Dolphin (and any other game) goes between 90-99 C while TJmax is 110. What sort of problem could it be?

P.S. Sorry for my bad English Big Grin
(01-22-2013, 04:33 AM)PNSee Wrote: [ -> ]At first I thought that my laptop might overheating so I installed CoreTemp and checked the temp. Strange, but CPU temp with running Dolphin (and any other game) goes between 90-99 C while TJmax is 110. What sort of problem could it be?

90-99 is overheating. Your CPU slows down to prevent issues.
Yep, that's definitely overheating. Clean the fans and apply aftermarket thermal compound (Arctic Cooling MX-4)
Tanto cpu y gpu hay que mantenerlo abajo de 80C, nunca tuve una notebook y menos jugar por ese mismo problema pero es sorprendente que caliente tanto estando a esa frecuencias tan feas, si sabes del tema un underclock pero aun eso no haria milagros sino tienes una buena temperatura ambiental...
-----
So many cpu and gpu it is necessary to support it below of 80C, I never had a notebook and less play for the same problem but it is surprising that it warms so much being to this so ugly frequencies, if you know of the topic an underclock but even it not haria miracles but have a good environmental temperature...
Thanks for advice. I will try to clean my laptop when I have some time.

Anyway I find the way how to handle this issue. In Power Management (Windows 7) I created special Power Plan and set up Processor Power Management

Code:
Minimum processor state: 75%
Maximum processor state: 85%

After that my maximum CPU now is 2.1 GHz and maximum temp is 85 C. Now I can finally reach fullspeed (with some drops in some moments) without random slowdown
You can set your CPU multiplier via Throttlestop
For Example :
133 x 21 = 2793MHz ~ 2.8GHz
133 x 19 = 2527Mhz ~ 2.5GHz

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/692...estop.jpg/

See ! Nice and easy
Enable the 3 options and save . Do not close Thottlestop while Dolphin is running .