Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Tweaking tips for beast rig and questions on dolphin direction
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

gamesterdude

Just got dolphin setup on my desktop whose specs are listed in my signature. So far most my games have run with a steady 60fps (I have frame rate limited by audio which seems to work best). Currently I run on 1920 x 1080 resolution with internal set at Auto Multiples. I did have stability issues with Smash Bros Melee and lots of lag in the Lord of the Rings games but I am sure I can find info about those items in other threads.

My questions are about many of the experimental settings in the config menus. All the guides I find are out dated and don't explain what settings do, they just say check this and click that. As a CS person I would like to know what they are specifically doing so I can know if they would be good for my current rig.

Since I have 16gb of the fastest memory you can buy and 2gb of video memory I am sure there are some tweaks to take advantage of this.

My last question was about the development of dolphin. Forums seem active so I wanted to know if this software is still being worked on regularly and I should expect to see many more releases. If so is there somewhere the developers accept donations to help keep the work going.

Sorry for long post. Thanks for any replies.
Depending on the game . Your i5 2500k stock will run most games full speed , your GTX 550Ti can handle 4x Internal Resolution , no AA , 16 AF
However , neither i5 2500k nor 550TI are fast enough for demanding games such as The Last Story , Mario Galaxy ... + High resolution (as I mentioned above)
For demanding games , you have to overclock your i5 to 4.5GHz and lower resolution to 3x or 2x IR or upgrade your GPU to GTX 660

gamesterdude

(01-21-2013, 11:45 AM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]Depending on the game . Your i5 2500k stock will run most games full speed , your GTX 550Ti can handle 4x Internal Resolution , no AA , 16 AF
However , neither i5 2500k nor 550TI are fast enough for demanding games such as The Last Story , Mario Galaxy ... + High resolution (as I mentioned above)
For demanding games , you have to overclock your i5 to 4.5GHz and lower resolution to 3x or 2x IR or upgrade your GPU to GTX 660
I am able to get a stable 5GHZ out of my I5 as I run water cooling and using the new Z77 chipset mobo which has some new voltage settings that help with over clocking. I may give it a try but I am not worried about Wii games. Just want perfect performance for Gamecube.
There are many demanding Gamecube games which require even more CPU power than Wii games !
Quote:Since I have 16gb of the fastest memory you can buy and 2gb of video memory I am sure there are some tweaks to take advantage of this
Dolphin doesn't care about RAM memory . 2GB for 32 bit , 4GB for 64bit
Higher Ram bus (800/1333/1600/2400MHz) will gain a small boost if you use "EFB copies to RAM"
"EFB copies to RAM" should fix graphic bug that appear on "EFB copies to texture" . However , "EFB copies to RAM" is slower than "EFB copies to texture"
As for settings per game , you can check dolphin wiki - compatibility list