Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: is my laptop strong enough?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
my wii broke so i was wondering if my laptop was strong enough to run Arc Rise Fantasia
i did a little testing and the beggining of the game runs at 100% but cinimatics run at about 70-80%
witch causes the subtitles to be out of sync still playable but i was wondering if there was a way for me
to fix this problem

overclocking is clearly not an option due to the laptop fact
other then that game the 2 other games i havent finished are zenoblade Chronicles and The last story
but i doubt my laptop can run what a wii could barly do
Your CPU is a bit weak for these games. Xenoblade and TLS above all make part of the most demanding games
i figured my cpu was a little weak for those 2 games if i were to turn off hyperthreading and switch my cores to 4 solid with 3.2ghz with turbo to about 3.6 would it make a diffrence on Arc Rise Fantasia or would i still end up with the subtitles being off sync
(01-19-2013, 07:33 AM)ForsakenYokai Wrote: [ -> ]if i were to turn off hyperthreading and switch my cores to 4 solid with 3.2ghz with turbo to about 3.6 would it make a diffrence on Arc Rise Fantasia or would i still end up with the subtitles being off sync

You should get synced around 3.2
(01-19-2013, 07:48 AM)LordVador Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-19-2013, 07:33 AM)ForsakenYokai Wrote: [ -> ]if i were to turn off hyperthreading and switch my cores to 2 solid with 3.2ghz with turbo to about 3.6 would it make a diffrence on Arc Rise Fantasia or would i still end up with the subtitles being off sync

You should get synced around 3.2
thanks for the help guess ill play it on my laptop and save up for a new system for the other 2 least i have somthing to do in the mean time
(01-19-2013, 07:52 AM)ForsakenYokai Wrote: [ -> ]guess ill play it on my laptop and save up for a new system for the other 2 least i have somthing to do in the mean time

Yeah save up for a good desktop if you can. It's the best deal for the best experience with Dolphin (and PCSX2 Big Grin ). CPUs such as i5 3570k/2500k or even i7 3770k/2600k are the best choices
(01-19-2013, 08:05 AM)LordVador Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-19-2013, 07:52 AM)ForsakenYokai Wrote: [ -> ]guess ill play it on my laptop and save up for a new system for the other 2 least i have somthing to do in the mean time

Yeah save up for a good desktop if you can. It's the best deal for the best experience with Dolphin (and PCSX2 Big Grin ). CPUs such as i5 3570k/2500k or even i7 3770k/2600k are the best choices
pcsx2 i get full frames no matter what game i play really only have problems with dolphin latest pcsx2 works with hyperthread so my laptop with turbo on can get about 80-100 fps on even high end cpu titles like tales of legendia
Quote:pcsx2 i get full frames no matter what game i play
I really doubt that . I guess the games that you tried are not demanding at all . Besides , PCSX2 not fully use 4 cores either
Afaik , your CPU turbo boost 1.73GHz - 4 cores active , 2.4GHz - 2 cores active , 2.8GHz - 1 core active . This is nowhere close to TLS requirement : i5 3570k @ 4.2GHz
Quote:if i were to turn off hyperthreading and switch my cores to 4 solid with 3.2ghz with turbo to about 3.6 would it make a diffrence on Arc Rise Fantasia or would i still end up with the subtitles being off sync
i have no idea what you're talking about . If you're talking about 1st gen i7 mobile CPUs , no CPU can do that , not even the extreme edition i7 940XM
If you mention about desktop CPU then ...Depending on CPU model , generation ....
For example :
Core i5 3470 @ 3.2GHz turbo boost :
_3.4GHz (4 cores)
_3.5GHz (3 cores)
_3.6GHz (1 or 2 cores)

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Core_i5/In...-3470.html
When you play Dolphin , CPU will auto-boost up to 3.4GHz . If you disable 2 cores , your CPU will boost up to 3.6GHz
However , You will lose your speed if you disable 2 cores

For more info . click here
(01-19-2013, 11:46 AM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:pcsx2 i get full frames no matter what game i play
I really doubt that . I guess the games that you tried are not demanding at all . Besides , PCSX2 not fully use 4 cores either
Afaik , your CPU turbo boost 1.73GHz - 4 cores active , 2.4GHz - 2 cores active , 2.8GHz - 1 core active . This is nowhere close to TLS requirement : i5 3570k @ 4.2GHz
Quote:if i were to turn off hyperthreading and switch my cores to 4 solid with 3.2ghz with turbo to about 3.6 would it make a diffrence on Arc Rise Fantasia or would i still end up with the subtitles being off sync
i have no idea what you're talking about . If you're talking about 1st gen i7 mobile CPUs , no CPU can do that , not even the extreme edition i7 940XM
If you mention about desktop CPU then ...Depending on CPU model , generation ....
For example :
Core i5 3470 @ 3.2GHz turbo boost :
_3.4GHz (4 cores)
_3.5GHz (3 cores)
_3.6GHz (1 or 2 cores)

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Core_i5/In...-3470.html
When you play Dolphin , CPU will auto-boost up to 3.4GHz . If you disable 2 cores , your CPU will boost up to 3.6GHz
However , You will lose your speed if you disable 2 cores

For more info . click here
As long as yo are aware what cores are your physical cores you are able to disable the logical cores through MS config it is not recommended because it runs your 2 primary cores down plus it puts more heat on the processor but as we all now hyper threading is not viable on dolphin

i have done this multiple times and it does indeed give a speed increase on some things that fore some reason do not hyper thread right

and in a previous statement i did say i couldn't play TLS

i have gotten 60-100 fps in every pcsx2 game i have tried on this computer i have not tried every game out there only the ones i own and the most CPU extensive one i own is tales of legendia in witch most people only get 40-50 fps without overclock.
I can run it at 100% speed at most locations drops to 90% at battle end for some reason

but anyways thats a little off topic all i wanted to know is if i could use this laptop and i found out i can but with a little tweaking i just tried running Arc Rise Fantasia on 2 cores at 3.6 my game is running mostly fine no slowdowns stays at 100% except in really populated areas i hit 80-90% but that is defiantly playable

sorry i noticed i typo in one of my previous posts its not 4 3.2 its 2 .3.2 turbo to 3.6 might make more sense on that
Quote:tales of legendia
is not a demanding game . Seriously , that game run full speed all the time here

Quote: all i wanted to know is if i could use this laptop and i found out i can but with a little tweaking i just tried running Arc Rise Fantasia on 2 cores at 3.6 my game is running mostly fine no slowdowns stays at 100% except in really populated areas i hit 80-90% but that is defiantly playable

sorry i noticed i typo in one of my previous posts its not 4 3.2 its 2 .3.2 turbo to 3.6 might make more sense on that
what ? Your post doesn't make sense . Are you talking about your laptop or desktop ? You did know your laptop is limited to 2.8GHz , right ?
3.2, 3.6GHz , that has nothing to do with your laptop