Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: i7 or i5
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I know for most tasks there won't be an noticeable difference in performance between the two, but I wanted to know if dolphin was one of those tasks.

I want to be able to play games like Last Story, Mario Kart, Brawl and Skyward Swords on my new computer.

Currently my i7 950/560Ti and i7 3610QM/650GT computers run the last 3 games perfectly, but I want this new computer to hold a steady 30fps for Last Story.

according to task manager my
950 @ 4.3ghz is the bottle neck and my 3610QM is for my laptop.

Has anyone with a i7 3820 or i5 3570k tried running these games on their pcs?

I will probably install my old 450GTS or I might take the 560Ti from the 950 pc, if the gpu becomes the bottleneck of this new system.

On a side note, does anyone know of any reliable bluetooth card/dongle that supports 4 wii controllers at the same time.
My laptop freezes whenever I try, and my pc's 10$ dongle simply ignores the second controller.
Dinujan Wrote:I know for most tasks there won't be an noticeable difference in performance between the two, but I wanted to know if dolphin was one of those tasks.

There's still no noticeable difference in Dolphin. Current revisions will only dedicate 3 major threads for a majority of the processing (one to emulate the GC/Wii CPU, GPU, and DSP); Hyper-Threading doesn't change much in that equation.

Dinujan Wrote:Has anyone with a i7 3820 or i5 3570k tried running these games on their pcs?

Neither of those CPUs is capable of running TLS @ 30 FPS consistently at stock speed. Even with turbo-boosting, the 3820 won't cut it. The 3570K will when overclocked to about 4.2 GHz. TLS is one of the most demanding Wii games atm; it doesn't even run @ 30 FPS all the time on a real Wii :|
I recommend the i5 3570k as well since this cpu is in my current gaming rig but I do have the 3770k for my ITX build which I really didnt overclock. Since you don't benefit from Hyper threading yet from games save yourself $80 and just go with the i5
KK thanks for the quick replies, I will go with the i5.

As for the bluetooth, I figured out that only my Red Wii MotionPlus INSIDE remote was the only remote that caused these problems. My gold Wii MotionPlus INSIDE syncs with dolphin fine so why doesn't the red? Under Bluetooth Devices the red remote comes up as "nintendo rvl-cnt-01-TR". My other remotes don't have this "TR" at the end. Anyway to make this remote work with MicroSoft stack?
As long as you pair it with Z77 mobo , you can overclock
Gold Wiimotes definitely work with Dolphin because those wiimote had been made ( Old model : "Nintendo RVL-CNT-01" )before Nintendo released their new "Nintendo RVL-CNT-01-TR".
or a z75 mobo if u dont need extra features
Z75 the chipset Taiwan forgot. Its $8 cheaper than a Z77 and $3 cheaper than a H77 and the only feature its missing is SSD caching and thunderbolt.