Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: CD Drive Help
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello I've been building up my games library on my pc, got n64 and gamecube running great and now I'm looking towards wii.

I am using the rawdump method however my disc drive is I believe incompatible, which is the best one you would recommend I swap out my old one with? Also is there any other known issues I should know going into it? Thank you for any feed back. Angel
Or would you recommend clean rip? If so how do I use that?
Look at this thread for a list of compatible drives. Note, none of them is manufactured anymore, so you'll be buying it from other sources, usually secondhand, usually via e-bay. The list might not be altogether accurate as well; some people have gotten drives on that list, but still encountered issues. Compared to other methods, rawdump is a gamble at best.

CleanRip or another Homebrew app is recommended. It's known to work reliably, and the hardware itself is usually something you already own. I hear it's faster, as well.
If you want to use CleanRip, all you need is a Wii that's been homebrew hacked. http://www.wiibrew.org/wiki/CleanRip If you have a non-hacked Wii and are fine with homebrew hacking it, use one of the methods outlined by WiiBrew.

If you want to use Rawdump, this thread has a list of drives that are compatible. http://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-how...wii-needed
(01-15-2013, 06:53 AM)Shonumi Wrote: [ -> ]Look at this thread for a list of compatible drives. Note, none of them is manufactured anymore, so you'll be buying it from other sources, usually secondhand, usually via e-bay. The list might not be altogether accurate as well; some people have gotten drives on that list, but still encountered issues. Compared to other methods, rawdump is a gamble at best.

CleanRip or another Homebrew app is recommended. It's known to work reliably, and the hardware itself is usually something you already own. I hear it's faster, as well.
Are there any good guides that could walk me through how to use it? Everything I've found seems outdated.
(01-15-2013, 07:12 AM)Chasedabigbase Wrote: [ -> ]Are there any good guides that could walk me through how to use it? Everything I've found seems outdated.

CleanRip or RawDump? There are plenty of online video tutorials on YouTube. Don't worry if the instructions are for 1.04, the changes included in 1.05 aren't major.
(01-15-2013, 07:24 AM)Shonumi Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-15-2013, 07:12 AM)Chasedabigbase Wrote: [ -> ]Are there any good guides that could walk me through how to use it? Everything I've found seems outdated.

CleanRip or RawDump? There are plenty of online video tutorials on YouTube. Don't worry if the instructions are for 1.04, the changes included in 1.05 aren't major.
Cleanrip, cant seem to find a good one
It sounds hard and confuing from the guides on th eweb, but is so easy I've even managed to get my brother to do it (and to be honest, I've never seen a supposedly smart person be able to fuck up a lego set so impressively with the instructions right in front of them, so this really is saying something).

You're going to want some way to run a .dol (I think) file. The best way is through the homebrew channel, but that requires you first to install it.

So, you find a way to run either cleanrip or the HB channel using either cheap stuff, or things you already have.

If(using homebrew channel = true)
{You run the installer (usually skipping the boot2 replacer), and from then on, boot cleanrip via the HBC}
else
{You run cleanrip directly via bannerbomb/indiana pwns etc}

I find it best to dump onto an 8GB FAT32 SD card in 1GB chunks.

Copy the file pieces to your HDD, and then stick them together. I use this, but saved as a .bat file so it actually runs.

Test the .iso with dolphin. If the dump is bad, you'll have to do it again, as it won't boot.