Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Sound chop and occasional lag with mario party 4
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Frosted

I've just started trying to get Mario Party 4 to work. I got LLE working and fixed the horrible screeching sounds that were playing instead of the music, but now the music will occasionally chop. I'm also experiencing slowdown in some minigames and during some transitions.

I may have clicked wildly in the settings for a few hours hoping to blindly solve the problem the rubix cube way.

I searched the boards and checked the thread index to no avail. (Only Mario Party 7) My system information should be on my profile. I think my computer should be able to handle this.
If your PC can't run a game full speed with LLE all the time (zero lag , no slowdown whatever...) , , you will have choppy audio
You can try LLE Vbeam trick ( good audio with LLE even if your PC can't run a game full speed all the time) :
_Right-click that game - Properties
_Tick "Vbeam" and Untick "Idle Skipping"

Dolphin - multiplayers are very demanding . The more players you add the more slowdown you'll get
I always recommend i5 3570k for overclocking , i5 3570k @ 4.2GHz should run most games full speed with multiplayer mode

Frosted

(01-13-2013, 10:04 PM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]If your PC can't run a game full speed with LLE all the time (zero lag , no slowdown whatever...) , , you will have choppy audio
You can try LLE Vbeam trick ( good audio with LLE even if your PC can't run a game full speed all the time) :
_Right-click that game - Properties
_Tick "Vbeam" and Untick "Idle Skipping"

Dolphin - multiplayers are very demanding . The more players you add the more slowdown you'll get
I always recommend i5 3570k for overclocking , i5 3570k @ 4.2GHz should run most games full speed with multiplayer mode
I'm running it single player at the minute. It's telling me that it can't create "./user/gameconfig/GMPE01.ini" Whenever I try to edit the properties of Mario Party 4. I checked the paths and it doesn't seem like configs are something I need to route. I do have this installed to the E drive instead of the C Drive, so I can imagine there might be conflicts.

I do not have a 3570k, just the 3570. I don't have any intention of overclocking.

Metroid prime and Wind Waker have been running without any chop at all, so I know I can run games smoothly. I can't believe that Toad's boardwalk of all things is murdering my computer. I do see slowdown to around 95% occasionally, and during some loading sequences down to 80%.
Try moving your Dolphin folder back onto C:\, onto your desktop. Unless you're running 3.0 or 3.5 stable (with the installer and everything), it tries to write config files to the folder Dolphin.exe is in, and it might not have the proper permissions to do that on E:\.

Also, try updating to the current revision (3.5-205) instead of 3.0-766 and use HLE instead of LLE. http://dolphin-emu.org/download/ The new-ax-hle branch (a complete rewrite of HLE audio emulation for the AX µcode, which almost all second- and third-party GC games use) was merged in shortly after 3.5 and it'll probably eliminate your need for LLE entirely for this game - heck, it's so accurate that it stutters like LLE does when you're running at <100%, but it requires much less CPU. (If you want to keep all your configs and saves when you update, just throw the new Dolphin.exe into the old one's folder, replacing the old Dolphin.exe.)

Frosted

(01-14-2013, 01:31 AM)pauldacheez Wrote: [ -> ]Try moving your Dolphin folder back onto C:\, onto your desktop. Unless you're running 3.0 or 3.5 stable (with the installer and everything), it tries to write config files to the folder Dolphin.exe is in, and it might not have the proper permissions to do that on E:\.

Also, try updating to the current revision (3.5-205) instead of 3.0-766 and use HLE instead of LLE. http://dolphin-emu.org/download/ The new-ax-hle branch (a complete rewrite of HLE audio emulation for the AX µcode, which almost all second- and third-party GC games use) was merged in shortly after 3.5 and it'll probably eliminate your need for LLE entirely for this game - heck, it's so accurate that it stutters like LLE does when you're running at <100%, but it requires much less CPU. (If you want to keep all your configs and saves when you update, just throw the new Dolphin.exe into the old one's folder, replacing the old Dolphin.exe.)
Alright, I'll give that a go sometime and report my findings. If it is a problem with where the directory is placed, we should probably try to find a way to free that up.