Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Dolphin and Zero input lag LCD monitor issue - noteworthy?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've got new 27" monitor capable of displaying in 3D or 144hz, its model is VG278HE.

Some sites mentioned that certain kind of LCD monitors can do "zero input lag" (google it up) and my monitor happened to be one of them. I was quite impressed seeing cursor moving across my monitor look so smooth and sharp as if it was 120hz CRT! However, I started to see that some applications caused double blur you wouldn't notice it with 120hz monitor without strobing the backlight. The backlight strobe is necessary to erase what's left for next frame and thus eliminates motion blur.

Dolphin emulator running 60FPS happened to display double blur on my 120hz monitor. I've tried 120FPS and double blur wasn't there! Not really an issue that should be fixed right away but it would be great if Dolphin could eliminate 'double blur' for backlight strobing 120hz monitor.

Noteworthy issue or not? Coding a such thing will gonna be difficult? And what about future 60hz+ monitors capable of zero input lag as mainstream monitors?

Sorry for my bad English. Also I'm pretty sure I've used wrong phrase "zero input lag". "Zero motion blur" or something, whatever Tongue
i doubt it will be looked into, not everyone is rich and has a fancy monitor.
This isn't some high-end monitor, just a TN monitor with 3D support. And LED backlight in most cases means that you'll get PWM flicker issues.
And if you want no input lag, no ghosting/blurring issues with good colors and viewing angles - you need to buy a professional CRT which will be hard to find and expensive if you want one in really good condition (like new) - most of those were used for design and stuff which means displaying a lot of static white pictures for whole work day - not good for CRT/PDP health. I was able to get two sealed Sony Artisan GDM-C520K monitors and now i know what is the best for gaming and photo editing, but chances to get a third in a good condition for less than a thousand are very slim.

In case of LCDs you have to choose between fast picture with bad viewing angles, ugly colors (TN) or more ghosting but good viewing angles and excellent colors (IPS), something in between (xVA). Also backlight brightness difference in different parts of screen (CCFL) vs PWM flicker which causes eye strain (most of LED monitors).

P.S. There's NO WAY to fix a LCD type hardware issues with software. You can't fix input lag or ghosting with software. Just like you can't get bass from a tiny speaker.
Quote:Some sites mentioned that certain kind of LCD monitors can do "zero input lag" (google it up) and my monitor happened to be one of them.

Zero input lag is impossible. The term is a marketing gimmick used to sell HDTVs and monitors that have a lower input lag than most.

Quote:I was quite impressed seeing cursor moving across my monitor look so smooth and sharp as if it was 120hz CRT!

That has nothing to do with input lag.

Quote:However, I started to see that some applications caused double blur

"Double blur" is not very descriptive. Could you elaborate on what you mean or take a picture?

I'm pretty sure that you're talking about ghosting.

Quote:Dolphin emulator running 60FPS happened to display double blur on my 120hz monitor. I've tried 120FPS and double blur wasn't there! Not really an issue that should be fixed right away but it would be great if Dolphin could eliminate 'double blur' for backlight strobing 120hz monitor.

This is an issue with your hardware, not with dolphin. Dolphin cannot fix hardware issues. Unless perhaps dolphin is running at 60 Hz instead of 120 Hz. And if that's the case then it's probably an issue with the video card drivers. But then it doesn't really make sense why it would switch to 120 Hz when running the game at a higher framerate.

Is the issue with low framerate content or is the issue from running the monitor at a low refresh rate?
Quote:
Quote:However, I started to see that some applications caused double blur

"Double blur" is not very descriptive. Could you elaborate on what you mean or take a picture?

I'm pretty sure that you're talking about ghosting.
No backlight strobe @60hz/120hz, 60FPS Dolphin <- 60/120hz no differences
[Image: IMG_7539_zpsaf8044c2.jpg] [Image: IMG_7535_zps0a036f86.jpg]
No backlight strobe @120hz, 120FPS Dolphin <- improved motion blur
[Image: IMG_7540_zps4606975b.jpg]
backlight strobing @120hz, 60FPS Dolphin <- The "double blur" I'm talking about
[Image: IMG_7521_zps48399e75.jpg]
backlight strobing @120hz, 120FPS Dolphin <- BADASS but Dolphin run too ...fast.
[Image: IMG_7533_zpsabc878fc.jpg]

Quote:
Quote:Dolphin emulator running 60FPS happened to display double blur on my 120hz monitor. I've tried 120FPS and double blur wasn't there! Not really an issue that should be fixed right away but it would be great if Dolphin could eliminate 'double blur' for backlight strobing 120hz monitor.

This is an issue with your hardware, not with dolphin. Dolphin cannot fix hardware issues. Unless perhaps dolphin is running at 60 Hz instead of 120 Hz. And if that's the case then it's probably an issue with the video card drivers. But then it doesn't really make sense why it would switch to 120 Hz when running the game at a higher framerate.

For some moment later I realized that maybe neither have issues because it's just our eyes and camera since we couldn't see double backlight strobing that fast per frame, causing "double blur"... is that right?
Does this happen with other 60 fps content?
(01-12-2013, 11:00 AM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]Does this happen with other 60 fps content?
Yes