Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: AMD Trinity Series APU's (A10-4600M)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Alright guys. Sorry to bother you all, but I have a question.

Right now, I have an AMD A10 4600M Processor (Quad Core, 3.2GHZ) with 6GB of RAM and a AMD
Radeon HD 7660G paired with an ATI Radeon HD 7670M
in Dual Graphics Mode.

Can I run Dolphin games (Mainly, Soul Calibur 2) at 60FPS or do I need to be running Intel? The reason I'm asking is because the thread about the laptop CPU hierarchy was last updated before AMD Trinity came out and last it was updated, the CPUs were still in the Llano era.
Well, 60 FPS are not possible. AMD CPUs are not very good concerning Dolphin. But the majority of the games is playable.
(01-04-2013, 03:40 AM)DefenderX Wrote: [ -> ]Well, 60 FPS are not possible. AMD CPUs are not very good concerning Dolphin. But the majority of the games is playable.
Alright, so I was correct. Alright, let's try something a little bit different. Say I was able to get my hands on an Intel Core i5-3210M (Sandy Bridge, 2.9 GHZ Approx) with an Nvidia 650M Graphics card with 2GB DDR5 Memory. 6GB of system ram. Would this be a better choice as far as Dolphin is concerned?

Thank you for your time by the way.

Turbo core (Llano) does not work well with Dolphin though you can overclock Llano CPU with K10stat . K10stat never work with Trinity btw
For Example : Llano A6 3400 @ 1.4GHz(4 cores active) turbo core -> 2.3GHz(1 core active) . Dolphin use 2 cores
Most users reported that the chip has never went any further than the stock speed via Dolphin

You have Trinity A10 4600M @ 2.3GHz turbo core -> 3.2GHz
You will never have 3.0GHz speed via Dolphin unless AMD fix this issue
Your Quad Core is even slower than Dual Core Intel Pentium B980 which is much slower than my CPU
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-Proc...436.0.html
Don't expect much...
3210m is better of course but it won't be enough for the most demanding games
Then go ahead and build yourself an i5 3570k @ 4.2GHz + Nvidia GTX 650 or pay 3000$ for a gaming /workstation laptop that can be overclocked to 4.2GHz Tongue
He only ask about Soul Calibur 2 , that "extremely light " game run full speed on my CPU all the time . So no problem with his Ivy Bridge i5 3210M
Edit : Keyboard troubleshooting , I couldn't type the correct words
(01-04-2013, 03:48 AM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]Turbo core (Llano) does not work well with Dolphin though you can overclock Llano CPU with K10stat . K10stat never work with Trinity btw
For Example : Llano A6 3400 @ 1.4GHz(4 cores active) turbo core -> 2.3GHz(1 core active) . Dolphin use 2 cores
Most users reported that the chip has never went any further than the stock speed via Dolphin

You have Trinity A10 4600M @ 2.3GHz turbo core -> 3.2GHz
You will never have 3.0GHz speed via Dolphin unless AMD fix this issue
Your Quad Core is even slower than Dual Core Intel Pentium B980 which is much slower than my CPU
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-Proc...436.0.html
Don't expect much...
That is very strange. I was using my laptop and it was running on Trinity A6-4400M at 3.2 GhZ both cores with ease. It does the same whenever I run PCSX2. Maybe mine was just well put together. Question, though.

Do Intel Core processors ever Turbo Boost correctly under Dolphin?
Yep. If the cooling system keeps the CPU cool of course
(01-04-2013, 04:26 AM)DefenderX Wrote: [ -> ]Yep. If the cooling system keeps the CPU cool of course
Good. However, I've heard Sandy's run pretty hot. Any idea how cool it has to stay to be that cool? I'm sure as it's an i5 that I could under-volt with ease, but still, curious.
Depends which temperature you're looking at and whether or not you overclocked it. The more you OC the colder you need to keep it, especially if you raise the voltage.

At stock it can go extremely high and still be considered safe. Even at 90-95C it will continue functioning normally. Don't worry about it though, your cpu will automatically throttle itself down well before it reaches the thermal threshold.