Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: New computer, New Dolphin, aka another "Can I Run Dolphin?"
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

TheCaptain74

Hello all, I am the Captain. Alright, intro's out of the way, on to business. I'm building a new compie and I need to know how well Dolphin can run.

Here's the build I have so far. Nothing's really set in stone, but I don't want to spend more than $1000-$1200 tops.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/vhhf

The important bits:

CPU
Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor

Motherboard
ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard

Memory
G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory

Video Card
PNY GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card

I've never OCed before, but I'd like to try OCing the CPU to around 4.5, though I hear some people go up to 4.8. I'm not sure that cooler will handle it though. I'd like to try OCing the memory and the GPU(can you?), but again, never done it before.

I intend to play, on the Wii side, SMG 1 & 2, Zelda TP & SS, Metroid Prime Trilogy, Monster Hunter Tri, Epic Mickey, Xenoblade Chronicles, Captain Rainbow (Can you use Riivolution with Dolphin?) and The Last Story (Hardest game to emulate iirc). Gamecube will mostly be Pikmin 1 and 2, Zelda WW, SSBM, Chibi Robo and Giftpia.

Any suggestions and help would be much appreciated Big Grin!
PNY is not a good GPU brand to choose unless you like the Nvidia reference design (not good for overclocking)
You should go with Gigabyte Windforce GTX 670 (very low noice , low temp)
Nice components my friend Cool

Just on little thing: The Hyper 212 Evo CPU cooler is not the best cooler Tongue If u want a really good CPU cooler, go for the Thermalright HR-02 Macho (only a few bucks more)

TheCaptain74

(01-03-2013, 10:39 PM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]PNY is not a good GPU brand to choose unless you like the Nvidia reference design (not good for overclocking)
You should go with Gigabyte Windforce GTX 670 (very low noice , low temp)
I was looking at that one, and the ZOTAC GeForce GTX 670(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...38566&SID=). The Gigabyte is quieter, but the Zotac is faster, if I'm understanding that right. I do like how the Gigabyte is cooler though. They're both around the same price, which would be better for OCing you think? I was reading this for reference: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gefo...217-8.html
(01-03-2013, 10:48 PM)DefenderX Wrote: [ -> ]Nice components my friend Cool

Just on little thing: The Hyper 212 Evo CPU cooler is not the best cooler Tongue If u want a really good CPU cooler, go for the Thermalright HR-02 Macho (only a few bucks more)
That does seem like a pretty bad** cooler. I like it. I wonder why it's not showing on PcPartPicker, or Newegg even.
10-20MHz is called "faster" ? You can't even see 1-2 FPS difference in PC game unless you go over 50MHz . Most people go over 100MHz like a piece of cake
Gigabyte and Asus are top brand , Zotac can't compare to them
As i told you before , Nvidia reference design - Zotac is no good overclocking ( Yes , you can overclock it but not as good as aftermarket cooling design)

TheCaptain74

(01-03-2013, 11:49 PM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]10-20MHz is called "faster" ? You can't even see 1-2 FPS difference in PC game unless you go over 50MHz . Most people go over 100MHz like a piece of cake
Gigabyte and Asus are top brand , Zotac can't compare to them
As i told you before , Nvidia reference design - Zotac is no good overclocking ( Yes , you can overclock it but not as good as aftermarket cooling design)
Yea that's true. I can just overclock the Gigabyte one and overtake the Zotac anyway Big Grin.

So this setup will run Dolphin pretty well right? Preferably at 1080p on my 42-inch tv?
Yep. If u overclock this CPU you won't have performance problems.
(01-03-2013, 10:48 PM)DefenderX Wrote: [ -> ]Nice components my friend Cool

Or he could go with a Corsair H80 :3
Yeah, but watercooling is more expensive than air cooling Tongue
Quote:Yeah, but watercooling is more expensive than air cooling

High end water cooling is more expensive. The Corsair H80 is priced about the same as high end air coolers. It provides little to no benefit against comparable air coolers in its price range though so I wouldn't bother. Nor is it any quieter than the competition.

Right now the liquid cooling market is split into two types of products. AIO (all in one) coolers which are priced at $60-120 usually and compete with high end air coolers. They have become increasingly popular in recent years.

And traditional discrete cooling systems which cost $160-600 which are what people usually still think of when they think of a liquid cooling system. These have been declining rapidly in market share over the last few years and there is barely any market left for them anymore. In recent years they have provided little benefit in most systems which means it's hard to justify the extra cost, space used, installation time, and risk of leaks. This is because as the majority of users have been buying HSFs over the last decade due to their low cost this has flooded those companies with money to do R&D to improve their products. As a result HSF designs have continued to improve at a fairly rapid pace over the last 10 years while water cooling has improved at a much much slower pace. The difference just isn't as big as it used to be. And while the difference can be significant in some cases we have reached an age where processors are clocked so high with stock or HSF OC that we require a tremendous amount of extra cooling to get even a small extra bump in clock rate.

In a few years vapor chamber cooling systems will likely replace both as they perform very well and are cheap to produce.
Pages: 1 2