Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Graphics Card Problem?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,

I have a laptop that has two types of video cards.
-Intel HD Graphics 4000 (Intel Core i7) (Integrated)
-Nvidia GeForce GT 650M (Not Integrated)

I know that integrated graphics are very slow. But, using the Nvidia control
panel I can select which type of graphics Dolphin uses (In the Dolphin graphics panel,
it only shows one at a time.)

Through testing though, using the integrated graphics option is much faster (Around 20%)
then the graphics card. Is Dolphin/The Control Panel switching the options so it looks like im running
off of the Nvidia card but it's actually using the integrated graphics? Or is the integrated graphics
actually running faster.

EDIT: I'm using Dolphin 3.0-917.

Thanks In Advance,
From a technical standpoint, the HD4000 should be slower than the GT 650M. If you observe results that show otherwise, I would think it's something to do with how the GT 650M is being utilized. You should have at least one program that can monitor GPU activity, at least for the GT 650M. If you notice that GPU activity is low on the 650M, there's your culprit (this was a problem with some desktop GPUs, not sure of it applies to laptops).

What are your graphics settings? Also, which games are you playing? Post screenshots of the General, Hacks, and Enhancments tabs. Try setting your IR to 3X. This should kill the HD4000's performance, but the 650M should be good; that might also force your computer to use more of the GPU's resources if it isn't already.
random thought. are your drivers for the 650 up to date?
(12-28-2012, 02:42 PM)Shonumi Wrote: [ -> ]From a technical standpoint, the HD4000 should be slower than the GT 650M. If you observe results that show otherwise, I would think it's something to do with how the GT 650M is being utilized. You should have at least one program that can monitor GPU activity, at least for the GT 650M. If you notice that GPU activity is low on the 650M, there's your culprit (this was a problem with some desktop GPUs, not sure of it applies to laptops).

What are your graphics settings? Also, which games are you playing? Post screenshots of the General, Hacks, and Enhancments tabs. Try setting your IR to 3X. This should kill the HD4000's performance, but the 650M should be good; that might also force your computer to use more of the GPU's resources if it isn't already.

Thanks for the help Smile
Here's my findings:
I downloaded and used GPU-Z to monitor the video cards' status, and set Dolphin to
3x internal resolution.
I found that Dolphin was using the video card that I selected, but
the only problem I seen was when I would select the GeForce card in the Nvidia
control panel, and I re-opened Dolphin, I would have to click the graphics properties
button, close it, and re-open it for it to recognized that it was using the Nvidia graphics card.
I guess that's a small bug, it might even be fixed in version 3.5.
I have Dolphin running at 100% now, thanks Big Grin
Note: I noticed that the speed did increase now when using the Nvidia card,
the problem probably was caused by running off of battery.