Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Need some help with sounds
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
So HLE works, but sound is distorted, parts are missing and sometimes it doesn't even play. Switched to LLE, and, as expected, everything works, but it slows down significantly when more sounds play (or even some parts of a single track). I tried both XAudio2 (works best) and DSound, which was a failure. So what I'd like to know is, is there any way to speed LLE up? (I know it's processor heavy, but it's kinda weird: the CPU usages spikes at ~80% at launch and then sits at 55~70% when playing, even when it's slow - Is this a limitation on Dolphin's side?)

I think specs are there but just in case my processor is an i5-2400 CPU @3.1GHz
Try to check "LLE on thread"
I had already tried that, I'll try again and edit with the results.

EDIT: That's it, it's a bit better but no miracle there. Honestly I don't even know why I unchecked that, but anyways.
Try AX-HLE branch ( http://dolphin-emu.org/download/branches/ ).
Which games are you trying to play?
I'm trying to run Pokemon Colosseum (NTSC) (GC) and kind sir, you have just made my week.

lolwuthax... must be. Thanks! Also just out of curiosity, what's the difference between LLE, HLE and what's so special about the AX-HLE branch? (It still distorts some notes BUT it now plays everything and the distortion is barely noticeable.)
LLE is more accurate but more demanding (powerful CPU needed).
HLE is faster and less demanding but has a lot of "bugs".
AX-HLE is a rewrite of HLE. Read Delroth's explanation for more details http://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-new...es-it-work
Thanks for that Smile

But there's something I couldn't figure out by myself... I know LLE is more demanding, but for some reason the CPU usage even with LLE sits at ~60% and stays there. I mean, it's not using all it could, even with everything else closed (but system stuff/AV) and real-time priority.
(12-25-2012, 03:53 AM)bigfeh Wrote: [ -> ]I know LLE is more demanding, but for some reason the CPU usage even with LLE sits at ~60% and stays there. I mean, it's not using all it could, even with everything else closed (but system stuff/AV) and real-time priority.

Your CPU has 4 cores. Dolphin uses only 2 cores (3 cores with "LLE on Thread").
Try to check "Lock Threads to Cores" (Config/General)
Well I tried and that slowed it down, while Core 1 and 3 were at 90~100%, Core 0 and 2 were idle (almost). I unchecked it and it came back to normal. Also I'm monitoring each core's usage and it looks like Dolphin is using all four. Any ideas?
It'll let the threads jump about between cores unless you lock them to cores.
Pages: 1 2