Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Will my new HTPC setup work well for Dolphin?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Annihilus

I've been spending long hours doimg a lot of research to get a nice HTPC built that doesn't cost too much money. I know the recommended for 1080P is 550 TI and a 3550K i5 but my demands are slightly less demanding. I've settled for the below setup:

Windows 7 x64

Board: MSI Z77 LGA 1155 Intel w/ SATA 6GBs and USB 3

Graphics: Gigabyte Radeon HD 6670 1GB 128-bit

Memory: CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB 1600

Processor: Intel Core i3-2100 3.1GHz

Hard Drive(Boot): Samsung 840 128GB

Hard Drive(Data): WD Blue 1TB SATA III 64MB Cache

My question for you guys is whether I will be able to play the following games at 720P (My TV is 720P so 1080 would be a waste eh?)

GC: All

Wii: Pretty much all of the Mario games.

PS2: I know this is a Dolphin forum but do you have any input on what it takes to run these? I would think if you could run Wii then you would be fine for PS2?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Well, the CPU is okay, most games are playable. Demanding games like SMG, Xenolade, F-Zero GX etc. won't run @ full speed. Besides, you can't use LLE because LLE is too demanding for your CPU.

The GPU is okay and should be able to handle 3x IR + 16xAF.

Annihilus

Thanks for the information Defender.

Hmm I might just return the video and cpu for a 550 ti and i5, about $200 more due to needing a different heatsink. But if your going to do it, do it right eh!?

Newegg has a Egg Buster deal for a 550 ti right now for $100
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6814130629
(12-21-2012, 06:26 AM)Annihilus Wrote: [ -> ]I might just return the video and cpu for a 550 ti and i5, about $200 more due to needing a different heatsink

Which i5 is it exactly?
I hope, i5-3570k Big Grin
Why did you choose the old Fermi GTX 550TI , not the new kepler GTX 650
The new GPU is cheap , same performance , use less power (which is good for HTPC)

Annihilus

So I was reading some more about the LLE stuff, with the i3 keeping me from using this will I not have proper audio coming from the games? I could live without playing Galaxy but I'd like to get at least Mario Kart Wii and Double Dash working properly. Do these two need LLE to run properly?
Nope, HLE is good enough.
Even if you're ok with using HLE audio in dolphin I would highly recommend a quad core cpu for pcsx2.