Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Windows 7 upgrade = poor Dolphin performance
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

groundbeef

I recently upgraded from Windows XP SP3 to Windows 7. Before I upgraded most games were running well (ex: Metroid Prime ran 45-60 FPS constant). After upgrading the performance has dropped heavily (Metroid NEVER hits 60 not even in menu)and there is constant sound stuttering. The only semi-fix I have found is to use JITIL which isn't as efficient and still runs slower than before upgrade. My card is running on performance and isn't in sleep mode when Dolphin runs. I have searched issue and the only other person that i have found with similar issue so far is this:

Issue 5744 - dolphin-emu - Choppy/Jitter slow-down after video card upgrade - Dolphin, a Gamecube / Wii / Triforce Emulator - Google Project Hosting

I have tried everything I can think of so far even compatiblity mode and admin changes. I have even disabled UAC and DEP.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Big Grin
Quote:"Windows 7 Home x86"
Windows 7 or 8 64bit is recommended for Dolphin .
Your CPU is slow for Metroid Prime , get a decent cooler and then overclock it to 3.4GHz !
32-Bit versions of Dolphin are slower than 64-Bit versions.

As admin89 said: Overclock your CPU.
If you think your GPU isn't getting out of sleep mode, go to Graphics > Hacks and move the Texture Cache accuracy slider to the left (one notch at a time until it gives a speedup, but no further).
He has a GTX 460, those don't have any problems

groundbeef

I understand that 64bit OS will do better. The problem lies in that my performance has dropped heavily just by going to Windows 7. It doesn't matter whether I choose DX9 ,OpenGL, or DX11 either. JITIL runs smoother but still below OS upgrade. Is Dolphin worse on 7 than XP? Because it is the ONLY emu or game that has suffered performance loss so far that i have seen.
It should run better on 7 than XP, so you are experiencing somehing weird.
lol wut, windows XP should be faster afaik because it uses less resorces
I would have thought there'd be a lot of kernel improvements resulting in a speedup overall, though.
I've ran Dolphin on Windows XP 32-Bit and Windows 7 32-Bit, the difference was negligible or in Windows 7's favor.
Pages: 1 2