Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Is there and drawbacks from using the Wii game disks itself on Dolphin?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

ras

Is it safe to use the disks rather then the roms and what are the significant differences? I'm sorry i'm new to this.
There are no risks in using real Wii discs in Dolphin since it's not possible :p only a select few DVD drives can read Wii discs, and that relies on exploiting certain firmware iirc. Dolphin can't read Wii discs directly, not even with those drives.

You can burn the ISO to a backup disc, and Dolphin can play those just fine. Some games may be slower to load though; I haven't tested this myself though. If you have already dumped your disc as an ISO or WBFS, there's not much point in using anything else imo.
Dolphin can READ BACKUP discs directly (through File => Boot Disc). Original discs must be dumped first. Furthermore, when booting backup discs directly I didn't notice any performance issue (however, in some games the loading times may be long than when running the ISO file directly)

ras

Bummer, I was hoping I could buy wii games to play on Dolphin cause I don't have any real console. Thanks for clarifying! Smile
Well you technically could, but like it was said before you need a special drive
(12-17-2012, 09:28 AM)Jhonn Wrote: [ -> ]Dolphin can READ BACKUP discs directly (through File => Boot Disc).

I already mentioned that :p (though without the specific option in Dolphin).
Mounting a dumped game ISO with DAEMON Tools works fine too and then "Boot Disc" too play Tongue
Maybe not the latest news but I tried it a while ago just for the heck of it and it was kinda fun I guess.