Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: My hardware, default settings, and recommendations?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

fminus

Hey guys,

I am looking to build a HTPC / dolphin machine that can play my WII collection. I am looking towards a small form factor, which restricts me to a Mini-ITX MB. That in turn limits my GPU to onboard (Intel HD4000) or the low profile HD Radeon 6670/7750.

The processor in choice, is the new Intel Core i3-3225.

I know there are numerous settings to make the Dolphin emulator hi res, pretty, and whatnot. But to be honest, I want the graphics to look the same as my WII. I am confused about the AntiAliasing and Filtering, etc. By increasing those, does that enable the graphics to look BETTER than the WII or do you have to enable those to get graphics akin to the WII?

I am looking to play Super Mario Party and Buzz and other party games with my gf. Outputted to my 1080p television. Nothing special. My main question, again: Would the above hardware allow me to play games, that emulate the same graphics and speed as my current WII?

Side note, if not, can anyone recommend a mini-itx hardware combo that would?

Cheers.
The Intel HD4000 should be enough for 1xIR (the same as the actual wii) with many games, however, it won't be enough for all games. That means you'll have to buy a GPU, and the 2 you've suggested should be enough for 2-3xIR (3xIR is 1080p). You may think that you don't need to upscale the game, but if you're not planning on enhanced graphics, then there's no benefit of getting a PC over a cheap used wii.

The i3 you've suggested should be pretty decent, and enough to play some fairly demanding games. However, there are some popular games which are very demanding, and will need better hardware than this. An i5 3570K overclocked to 4.2 GHz is recommended for certain games.

fminus

(12-13-2012, 09:43 AM)AnyOldName3 Wrote: [ -> ]The Intel HD4000 should be enough for 1xIR (the same as the actual wii) with many games, however, it won't be enough for all games. That means you'll have to buy a GPU, and the 2 you've suggested should be enough for 2-3xIR (3xIR is 1080p). You may think that you don't need to upscale the game, but if you're not planning on enhanced graphics, then there's no benefit of getting a PC over a cheap used wii.

The i3 you've suggested should be pretty decent, and enough to play some fairly demanding games. However, there are some popular games which are very demanding, and will need better hardware than this. An i5 3570K overclocked to 4.2 GHz is recommended for certain games.
Thanks for your help.

Quote: if you're not planning on enhanced graphics, then there's no benefit of getting a PC over a cheap used wii.
I actually wanted to use it for XBMX and some games on the side. So that would be some hidef mkv, etc. That's why I wanted to know if the built in HD 4000 could handle that. It seemed like a bit of overkill to add a bunch of extra hardware just to play wii games.