Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: extract sound files or replace them?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey guys, I was wondering if it's possible to extract the sound files from a .iso or .gcm file. I really don't like donkey kongs voice in Mario kart Wii, I would rather replace them with the sounds from mario kart double dash or mario party 5.

If it's not possible to replace them, I could still need them for other projects.
You can dump audio with dolphin (not sure what it dumps tho), but you can't replace it with dolphin, you might be able to replace it with some kind of wii/GC file changer
What exactly does "dump audio" mean? Put it out of the iso?

I tried to open the iso files with winrar and some other apps and they told me that they can't handle it. Now i opened Dolphin and clicked on properties and I can see a folder called sound. The files inside there are a msm and a pdt. I extracted them but now I don't know how to continue.

edit: I found this vgmstream, I'll try to figure out how it works.
Wiiscrubber may be useful here.
Right click on the game in Dolphin, propriety, go under tab File system.

you will have a folder called sound (for Mariokart Wii) and you can extract file by right click on it, but I don't think you can read it with a player
That vgmstream should be able to play pdt files, but I wasn't able to play them. Do you guys know how to use a command
line decoder? I have a test.exe but I have no idea how to use it.

Spoiler:
I also tried that Wiiscrubber, it can extract and replace files.
You may also find that the actual sound file you want isn't in the sound folder. Some games keep certain sound effects in weird places.
Right click in folder, open command window here. You'll need these dll's.
Code:
test.exe -o foo.wav -l 1 -f 0 inputfile
-o is the output file (default is dump.wav), -l is loop count (default 2) and the -f is fade time (default 10). I got a for loop I'll post later to make doing multiple files easier.
thanks lamedude, I tried that one and test.exe said failed to open MP5_Str.pdt, I guess test.exe can't read those files.