Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Are Windows Updates slowing down Dolphin?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey guys,

Last week I reinstalled Windows 7 because I wanted to have the 64bit Version of it. At first the computer was much more faster than before, also Dolphin ran Mario Galaxy at 60FPS and that with my old i7 930 ..

However Windows started to complain about some Updates which had to be installed, so I accepted .. After installing them the computer did a restart and then it was awfully lame .. Not only Dolphin, all multimedia-related things on my computer were slower than they were before the updates ..

I tried to deinstall the updates but everything kept slow, so I reinstalled Windows again .. Now it is fast again and I disabled all updates ..

So my question is:
Are Windows Updates possibly slowing down Dolphin?
Depends on the update type Tongue
Quote: I disabled all updates
Same here
Did you record the fps before and after?

Disabling windows update is a really bad idea. You're leaving your system wide open to security flaws and bugs. The updates should not make a significant difference to application performance.
I had been using windows 8 consumer preview and recently did a clean install of the retail version. One of my regular speed tests is to run skyward sword's title screen at 4xIR in D11, since it's one of the slowest parts of the game.

Before the install i was getting 20fps, 40vps, now with the final windows 8 i'm getting 23fps, 46vps. I had a mountain of updates to get through and even after a dozen of them it hasn't changed. Not 100% relevant to your situation, but updates haven't hurt in my experience.

Are you aware of what specific updates you downloaded? If you could track down which one caused the speed drop then you could see what it was for and figure out how it impacted on your system.
(12-08-2012, 07:06 AM)Nerrel Wrote: [ -> ]I had been using windows 8 consumer preview and recently did a clean install of the retail version. One of my regular speed tests is to run skyward sword's title screen at 4xIR in D11, since it's one of the slowest parts of the game.

Before the install i was getting 20fps, 40vps, now with the final windows 8 i'm getting 23fps, 46vps. I had a mountain of updates to get through and even after a dozen of them it hasn't changed. Not 100% relevant to your situation, but updates haven't hurt in my experience.

Are you aware of what specific updates you downloaded? If you could track down which one caused the speed drop then you could see what it was for and figure out how it impacted on your system.
I'm not using Windows 8 and you got a 4Ghz CPU ..
However, I tried to install all updates one by one ..
None of the "important-updates" slowed down the PC but one or some of the "optional updates" are ..
So I deinstalled them and it was ok ..
To Prove, I could capture Mario Party 9 via Fraps @ only 2.8Ghz wirh 60fps Smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QABOtqBqeFU
I'm not using Internet on my gaming/emulator machine so I wouldn't know if Windows Updates is slowing down Dolphin or not.
But seeing as you use Internet I would most definitely recommend to use Windows Updates because otherwise you'll be vulnerable to threats as stated before.

To answer your question:
I'm not really sure and don't really want to find out myself.
But if I had to guess I would say NO it doesn't slow Dolphin down, because that would mean Windows 7 SP1 would slow down Dolphin too compared to Windows 7 RTM and I haven't noticed any change between them. Consider all updates after SP1 as a SP2 or something and that it doesn't slow things down.