Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Dump frames to a specific folder
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Is there a way to make dolphin dump frames to other folders than ~User/Dump/Frames?

Because, the game is running at 100% speed, but is really only running in 60-70% speed. Is that becuase you're dumping to the same drive as you are using? My CPU is overclocked at 4.5Ghz (i7 2600k), but I am running a the HD3000 GPU. Is that why it is so slow?

I use Dolphin 3.0 stable.
Quote:the game is running at 100% speed, but is really only running in 60-70% speed.
This bit doesn't especially make too much sense. When does it run at full speed (ie when you play it without dumping it's at fullspeed; the video shows it at fullspeed; etc) and when is it slow?
(12-03-2012, 06:16 AM)AnyOldName3 Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:the game is running at 100% speed, but is really only running in 60-70% speed.
This bit doesn't especially make too much sense. When does it run at full speed (ie when you play it without dumping it's at fullspeed; the video shows it at fullspeed; etc) and when is it slow?
When I play without dumping it runs in 100% speed, however, when dumping, it says it's running at 100% speed, but it is slow. Not lagging, but like the game has slowed down to 60-70% speed.
The dumped video is running in normal speed (100%). I run the native resolution, but I suspect the problem is in the weak GPU. Is that the case?

But, is there a possibility to dump frames to other folder than ~User/Dump/Frames? Maybe an .ini value to add?
If that's the case, I don't know how to find the problem and fix it. Try turning on 'Show FPS when in fullscreen' (or whatever it's called) and playing in fullscreen. After that, meddle with settings to see if anyhing helps, which it probably won't.
I am pretty sure it's because of the weak GPU and that I am dumping to the same drive as I am playing from.
I'd probably go for GPU first, but it may be the drive. If there's no option in Dolphin to change the dump location, then you may have to chane the destination folder in the source code, and compile it yourself.
In Fraps for example, if you record to the same drive as you play the game from, you get pretty bad performance as if you did it on two separate drives. But, I'll probably get a 7870 for christmas, so I can check if the problem still persists.
With that GPU you may have issues with the D3D11 backend. Personally, I'd go for a similarly powered GPU from the previous generation.

Also, FRAPS and Dolphin have a different way of doing anything, so issues in one may not occur with the other. I also don't think Dolphin makes too many HDD read/write requests, so should have a negligible effect.
It depends on your CPU and HDD.

If you have a decent HDD, say a HD103SJ, you should be able to record 1080p footage without lagging provided that you have a capable CPU.
Exceptions are games that stream during gameplay where a second HDD will help a lot.

And as Oldname pointed out, Dolphin doesn't request a lot of read and writes to the HDD, so depending on your HDD, it might or might not be part of the issue.

I think this is more of a CPU issue. Your mileage might vary across different games.
What game are you trying to record?
(12-03-2012, 06:48 AM)AnyOldName3 Wrote: [ -> ]With that GPU you may have issues with the D3D11 backend. Personally, I'd go for a similarly powered GPU from the previous generation.

Also, FRAPS and Dolphin have a different way of doing anything, so issues in one may not occur with the other. I also don't think Dolphin makes too many HDD read/write requests, so should have a negligible effect.
Okey, but no internet retailer sells the AMD Radeon 6xxx series cards anymore. And also, how better is the D3D11 backend compared to the D3D9 backend? Will I be able to run games smooth at 1080p, 16x AF and 4X SSAA with D3D9 backend?

(12-03-2012, 06:54 AM)Garteal Wrote: [ -> ]It depends on your CPU and HDD.

If you have a decent HDD, say a HD103SJ, you should be able to record 1080p footage without lagging provided that you have a capable CPU.
Exceptions are games that stream during gameplay where a second HDD will help a lot.

And as Oldname pointed out, Dolphin doesn't request a lot of read and writes to the HDD, so depending on your HDD, it might or might not be part of the issue.

I think this is more of a CPU issue. Your mileage might vary across different games.
What game are you trying to record?

I have a WD 2TB Black 7200RPM HDD, that I run Dolphin on.

Mostly Brawl, Mario Kart DD/Wii & Sonic Adventure 2 Battle are the games i will record.
Pages: 1 2