Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: effects of disabling 1 of cores on performance
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
i would do this myself but christmas is still a month away Big Grin

would disabling 1 of the 3570k's cores and increasing the OC due to the reduced heat output improve performance (with lle on a thread)

i suppose another way of putting it is, is the fourth core redundant during emulation providing i terminate as many background processes as possible?
As long as you OC more then you would with 4 cores it should
Just overclock this CPU to 4.2/4.3GHz and you won't have performance problems.
Quote:would disabling 1 of the 3570k's cores and increasing the OC due to the reduced heat output improve performance (with lle on a thread)

No. Because it wouldn't help you OC any further. Ivy bridge downclocks and lowers the voltage on cores that are idle or under low load. It may even cause them to enter a sleep state where most of the core is shut off entirely. In other words your CPU pretty much already takes care of this for you. The heat that these cores generate is negligible.
not sure why you would need to do that. my i5 2500k runs everything at 100% with no overclock.
All that means is that either you haven't tried some of the heavier games, you aren't using LLE audio or any of the slower options, or both. I assure you there are quite a few games that will not run at fullspeed all the time on a sandy/ivy bridge cpu without overclocking.
(11-29-2012, 10:51 AM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]All that means is that either you haven't tried some of the heavier games, you aren't using LLE audio or any of the slower options, or both. I assure you there are quite a few games that will not run at fullspeed all the time on a sandy/ivy bridge cpu without overclocking.
not sure, we only play mario galaxy and galaxy 2. but a lot of other games we tried worked at 100% as well.
I give you hints :
1)The Last Story , EFB copies to Ram , Lazulis city . Even i5 3570k @ 4.2GHz can't get full speed all the time
2)Baten Kaitos + LLE backend (DSP_coef.bin & DSP_rom.bin)
3)SMG 1 & 2 + LLE backend
4)Call of Duty (GC)
and so on ...
(11-29-2012, 04:38 AM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:would disabling 1 of the 3570k's cores and increasing the OC due to the reduced heat output improve performance (with lle on a thread)

No. Because it wouldn't help you OC any further. Ivy bridge downclocks and lowers the voltage on cores that are idle or under low load. It may even cause them to enter a sleep state where most of the core is shut off entirely. In other words your CPU pretty much already takes care of this for you. The heat that these cores generate is negligible.
ahhh, i thought the intel equivalent of amds cool and quiet worked similarly, but if it can pretty much shut it down theres no point in disabling it in the first place.

in which case would openmp improve performance on a quad core? on my old 1090t phenom it didnt seem to make a difference but my memory is a bit hazy on this
OpenMP doesn't usually help much on most games
Pages: 1 2