Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Not sure where to put this
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Shane2100AD

Does anyone know if an OS X version of "GameCube Image Rebuilder" exists?
Did u google it?
Dual boot FTW
Yeah, but some people have not enough free space on the HDD/SSD for Bootcamp. And you have to restart the Mac if you want to boot into Windows 7.
There's always WINE. It's supposed to work on OS X as well. Takes care of the issues with drive space and rebooting. If you have the drive space, you can also use virtual machine/virtualization software. I think Parallels Desktop lets you launch Windows apps like native programs in OS X.
Wine doesn't work well on OS X, I've tested it. Some programs work well, some won't even start and some crashed. Paralles Desktop is a good alternative, but it's quite expensive (about 80 Euros)
The quality of WINE depends on what programs you use. Some programs run flawlessly, others not so much. This is true even on Linux. There's a compatibility list online, but you won't find obscure programs like the GC Image Rebuilder.
As far as i can see the GC Image Rebuilder uses dotnet3.5 framework which has limited functionality in Wine.
It might run in mono tho, but I haven't tried.

Wine does work very well on OSX, but Wine needs quite some configuration for many apps/games which can make it seems hard when you start using it.

By the way, if you use latest versions of OSX (10.8.2 or 10.7.5), be sure to update your X server, because there was a bug in previously released X servers in OSX which breaks compatibility with 10.8.2 and 10.7.5.

There is however one huge issue in relation to OSX and Wine, and that only affects AMD cards.
The AMD drivers for OSX reports the wrong numbers of MAX_VERTEX_UNIFORM_COMPONENTS, which kills performance in certain games. This can however be resolved by patching Wine with setting this as a specific value instead of getting it from the drivers.

Shane2100AD

I've found two solutions: Wiimms ISO Tools and an unreleased app called "WiiExplorer" by "Mega-Mario". It's first release will work with Wii ISOs only, but it'll be open source.