Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: A few questions about Dolphin:
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have a few questions:

1. Do NTSC games run at 30 FPS while PAL games run at 25 FPS?

2. What is more desirable, NTSC or PAL? Why?

3. I have played Super Mario Sunshine with Dolphin, but it runs at 25 FPS. When I turn the Framelimit to 60 FPS, the game speeds up making it virtually impossible to play.

Is it possible to get higher than 25 FPS without also speeding the game up?

4. When I play the game, at the top of the Dolphin window is says FPS, VPS, and SPEED. FPS is self-explanatory, but what is VPS and what is SPEED?

When SPEED is at 100%, does that mean that the game is running at the "correct" speed?

5. I found a high-res texture pack for Super Mario Sunshine, but how do I install it?
Quote:Do NTSC games run at 30 FPS while PAL games run at 25 FPS?
I have played Super Mario Sunshine with Dolphin, but it runs at 25 FPS. When I turn the Framelimit to 60 FPS, the game speeds up making it virtually impossible to play.
Is it possible to get higher than 25 FPS without also speeding the game up?
Depending on the game
NTSC : 30 or 60 FPS
PAL : 25 or 50 FPS

In this case , anything more than 25FPS would be too fast for Super Mario Sunshine

Quote:What is more desirable, NTSC or PAL? Why?
NTSC has more FPS , charater movement and everything looks smoother . However...
PAL has less FPS . It should be easier to reach full speed on PAL version rather than NTSC

Quote:When SPEED is at 100%, does that mean that the game is running at the "correct" speed?
YES (NO if you enable "Vbeam")
5. -> Place the Textures in Dolphin/User/Load/Textures and check "Load Custom Textures" in the Graphic settings under "Advanced"
(11-25-2012, 01:22 PM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:What is more desirable, NTSC or PAL? Why?
NTSC has more FPS , charater movement and everything looks smoother . However...
PAL has less FPS . It should be easier to reach full speed on PAL version rather than NTSC

Spoiler:
Also most GC Games support PAL60, which should make the games play at 30/60FPS.

Sometimes the option in the games pops up, sometimes it doesn't, dunno why
(11-25-2012, 12:53 PM)lukeman3000 Wrote: [ -> ]4. When I play the game, at the top of the Dolphin window is says FPS, VPS, and SPEED. FPS is self-explanatory, but what is VPS and what is SPEED?

When SPEED is at 100%, does that mean that the game is running at the "correct" speed?
Usually, but SPEED counter is not always 100% correct. Its based on VPS, I think it would be more correct if it would be beased on FPS.
VPS is speed of at which emulated cpu runs, FPS is speed at which emulated gpu runs
Thanks for all of the info guys. 5 FPS is noticeable to me.

On another note, I'm having trouble getting a high-res texture pack for Super Mario Sunshine to work. I put the GMSE01 folder in Dolphin\User\Load\Textures\, but no joy. Any ideas?
Check "Load Custom Textures" in the "Advanced" tab of the graphic settings