Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: CPU usage on Dolphin with Windows 8 Pro x64
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Has anyone else noticed how inefficient Dolphin is when it comes to CPU usage on Windows 8?

It feels like the CPU usage is slightly higher on Windows 8 than on Windows 7 on the same scenes. On Melee, I see the CPU usage to be as high as 30-35%, sometimes spiking up to 40% on my overclocked i7 when it used to be around 15% on Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1. I could be wrong though, I want to see if anyone else running Windows 8 and Dolphin experiences the same thing as I do. Can anyone else confirm this? I'll do more tests later.

Regards
No I can't confirm this. And that doesn't really make any sense.

It MIGHT have something to do with HT. If windows 8s new task manager measures physical core usage instead of virtual core usage than cpu usage would be twice as high on cpus with HT compared to windows 7s task manager. However my cpu doesn't support HT while yours does, so I can't test this. But this is the only thing that I can think of that would double cpu usage.
(11-24-2012, 03:14 AM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]No I can't confirm this. And that doesn't really make any sense.

It MIGHT have something to do with HT. If windows 8s new task manager measures physical core usage instead of virtual core usage than cpu usage would be twice as high on cpus with HT compared to windows 7s task manager. However my cpu doesn't support HT while yours does, so I can't test this. But this is the only thing that I can think of that would double cpu usage.
Yeah, you may be right on that one.
Can you double check it?
(11-24-2012, 05:28 AM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]Can you double check it?
I let my friend do a brief test of this phenomena, we got identical PC's except that he has a GTX 690 installed, which has no effect of the CPU usage or shouldn't, his i7 2600K is OC'd to 4.4 GHz however. He saw a CPU usage that averages between 20 and 25%. He's running Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1. My assumption is that the Task Manager works differently on Windows 8, as you did assume as well. This is very interesting stuff anyway.
That makes no sense if he has a 2600K too. CPU usage should be somewhere in the neighborhood of 25% with HT enabled and 50% with HT disabled. Double check it on your system and make sure no background tasks are running.
(11-30-2012, 12:49 PM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]That makes no sense if he has a 2600K too. CPU usage should be somewhere in the neighborhood of 25% with HT enabled and 50% with HT disabled. Double check it on your system and make sure no background tasks are running.
Unless he has frame limit on, as most people probably do.
I had no other processes running that would use any CPU at all, just Dolphin. Frame limiter is on of course because I don't want to exceed 100% in speed.
Quote:Unless he has frame limit on, as most people probably do.

Well turning the frame limiter on would make his cpu usage go down, not up. The problem is that his cpu usage is too high for a cpu with HT.